The Makings of a Mayor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Thanksgiving break is quickly approaching, but before we can drown our end-of-the-semester stress in gravy and cranberry sauce, the Student Alumni Association (SAA) sponsors Homecoming Week to bring current and former Huskies together to celebrate all things Northeastern. While most colleges are familiar with homecoming traditions such as king and queen, Northeastern also has an NU-specific election for Mayor of Huntington Avenue (MOHA). The mayor attends all homecoming events as well as other events including Northeastern Day at Fenway Park and the Beanpot.

According to the SAA website, “In the 1960’s and 1970’s, Mayor of Huntington Avenue was a contest that united Northeastern and transformed our campus through parades, banners, costumes, and school spirit.” The SAA brought this event back to life in 2005, and it continues to get bigger and better each year. The annual “Mayor’s Debate” made its first appearance in the fall of 2005 and continues to be an exciting event for each candidate to prove that they possess “Husky Pride.”

We’re all guilty of ignoring yet another Northeastern email or skipping the main page of MyNEU, but as Homecoming approaches (our last undergraduate homecoming for us seniors) let’s take a moment to hone our Husky spirit.  As an already nostalgic senior, I decided that this year I would figure out what it is the MOHA does. I want to be able to make an educated vote this year, as should you. I tracked down the candidates and asked them about their Husky spirit — think of it as Cliff Notes, I did the research and you get to read the shortened version:

THE CANDIDATES

Harrison Cleaver

Hometown: Melbourne, Australia
Year: Technically an NU sophomore, Harrison is 20 years taking junior and senior classes
Major: Marketing and Entrepreneurship
Representing organization: RSA
Website: http://www.mayorharrison.com
Slogan/Catchprahse: None Provided
Category you’ll probably file him under but shouldn’t: The international candidate, the RSA kid

It’s hard to miss Harrison. He’s over six feet tall, blonde-haired and blue-eyed, with a thick Australian accent that’s hard to ignore-especially because of how loquacious he is. Harrison came to states chasing an American girl after a three week whirlwind romance in Australia, but though that girl is gone, Harrison has a new love affair-with Northeastern.  Originally on exchange from him home university, Harrison has become an Australian ambassador to Northeastern and wants to finish out his studies in Boston, despite the cold weather.  

Harrison, who arrived in Boston in flip-flops and board shorts, says, “The cold is an experience, I’ll give you that. But Northeastern has a lot more experiences to be a part of. Every group here has their own niche, but it is part of a culture that you’ll never forget.  Campus involves you with community-you’re not there for those two hours of class. You learn in those who hours of class, but there is so much more that happens outside of class and in [student] groups.”

He should know all about student groups. Harrison is active in RSA’s Snowball committee and the “Name the Truck” committee, ballroom dancing club, a former 337 Huntington Hall Council member and current International Village Hall Council president, Entrepreneurship Club, International Student Scholar Institute and the Housing Task Force. He is especially passionate about RSA-Harrison claims he is not promoting himself during this campaign, he is promoting RSA, the organization that has made his Northeastern experience so great.

Harrison’s favorite Northeastern chant is “Let’s go Huskies!” He explains, “Let’s equals let us. Us is a community. We are together on a journey.”  Harrison also explains that one of his favorite words is “Go,” a world without which he wouldn’t have chased a girl across the world, ended up at Northeastern, and decided to run for mayor.

Harrison’s goal as mayor is to create a more involved campus with a center of Husky pride. “If I’m a international kid who has come from the outside and found my way in to being the Mayor of Huntington Avenue, it means I’m almost at the center and I can pull everyone else towards the center,” he says.

He hopes to echo the upperclassmen community promotion that he has already pursued as president of IV.  He is passionate about finding out what every member of Northeastern has to offer, and meeting as many people as possible. “I don’t want to be dismissive of the Average Joe. There is no such thing as the average Joe. People just don’t know them well enough yet to know they are nuts or extreme in something else,” Harrison says.

And if he doesn’t win? Well, he still wants to be involved, of course. “If the mayor isn’t me, contact me, ill help them. I’m more than happy to help.”

5 words from Harrison to describe him or his campaign
1. Passionate
2. Willing and wanting
3. Community
4. Friends
5. Connection to spirit /pride

Thomas Jackson

Hometown: Andover, Mass
Year: 5th year senior
Major: Political Science, minor in Communications,
Representing organization: Kappa Sigma
Website:  Thomas Jackson for Mayor of Huntington Ave.
Slogan/catchphrase: None provided
Category you’ll probably file him under but shouldn’t: That poli-sci frat guy

It’s not difficult to argue that Thomas was born to be mayor, considering he was born almost on Huntington Ave, right around the corner and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

Thomas has family ties to Northeastern; his uncle was around for the mayor race in the 1970’s. Maybe then it is, “manifest destiny” as Thomas says. He wants to bring the competition back full circle to his beginnings, have fun, and represent Northeastern well.

Thomas transferred from Quinnipiac after his freshman year to return to Boston and chose Northeastern over a certain “strip mall on Comm. Ave.”  He’s familiar with running in school elections-Thomas was class president at Quinnipiac, a spot he earned by knocking on literally every freshman’s room in the school. Though he has no plans to attempt to knock on every student’s door at Northeastern, Thomas knows how important it is to campaign to all students and extend his reach outside of a strong Greek Life backing (last year’s MOHA came from Kappa Sigma, Thomas’s fraternity). “The mayor isn’t just for fraternities and sororities. It’s for the entire Northeastern community,” he says.  

Thomas grew up in a hockey family and embraces the Husky Pride that the Northeastern team brings to the school.  His favorite cheer is the “North”…”Eastern” cheer that both sides of the arena participate in because, “Anyone can do it. You can pick it up at your first game and become a part of the Northeastern community right away.” Thomas admits that before he came to NU, he used to be a BC Hockey fan, but promises that now, “all the BC t-shits have become rags for my mom to polish furniture.”

Apart from hockey games, you can find Thomas involved in Kappa Sigma, working on a new member program for all sorority and fraternity life, working with Reach Out Volunteers, working on political campaigns or partaking in another Northeastern tradition: ending Saturday nights at Our House.

According to Thomas, the MOHA, “represents this year of Northeastern through the alumni association. 150Husky dollars doesn’t hurt either,” Thomas jokes. While homecoming king and queen is a traditional thing, running for mayor allows people to have fun and show their personality more through elections, Thomas says. It’s about “who will best encompass the spirit of Northeastern.”

Five words from Thomas that describe him or his campaign
1. Unconventional
2. Fun
3. Anything
4. Can
5. Happen

Jonas Edwards-Jenks

Hometown: Thomaston, Maine
Year: 3rd year Middler
Major: Political Science and Economics
Representing organization: SGA
Website: Facebook.com/mayorjonas , twitter.com/mayorjonas
Slogan/catchphrase: Mayor Jonas-I am Northeastern
Category you’ll probably file him under but shouldn’t: That SGA kid

Jonas Edwards-Jenks comes from a small town in Maine. There were 50 kids in his graduating class where he “knew all of their first names, middle names, last names, and allergies.”  Looking for a change of pace, Jonas headed to Northeastern, where despite it’s much larger size, he has been able to take his small town nature and “treat everyone like they are my neighbor”.

It’s clear that Jonas values relationships-he claims they are the key to everything he’s done at Northeastern. In addition to being a campus tour guide, Jonas is an active member of SGA, Jonas is now its vice president for student affairs, whose goal it is to “build, foster, and create strong community.”  

Jonas knows how to harness what students believe in and is using it to create positive change on campus. He is also able to recognize issues that still need to be worked on. He believes sending students on international study and co-op is a great experience, but also realizes that it makes building a strong unified campus community difficult. Co-op is his favorite tradition however, as it is a conversation starter that connects students and makes all of their experiences different.

Jonas strives to create a “mentality of inclusion” at Northeastern. He believes the MOHA needs to be “someone who can bring people together and represent all of them-not just their group of friends.”

Jonas describes the MOHA as a liaison from undergraduates to alumni. The mayor needs to be someone who has a feeling for what students value and what they want to do. Jonas wants to be the representative to tell that story.

“I have a finger on the pulse of what makes Northeastern students tick,” he says. “The school we go to now is not what existed 10, 20, 30 years ago. We’re at an amazing crossroads as university-a university on the move, a college of opportunities.”

5 words from Jonas to describe him or his campaign
1. bold
2. unconventional
3. friendship-based
4. fun
5. interesting

Kevin Kaye

Hometown:  Bristol, CT
Year:  3rd year Middler
Major: Mechanical Engineering
Representing organization: N Zone
Website: Vote for Kevin Kay for Mayor of Huntington Avenue
Slogan/catchphrase: None given
Category you’ll probably file him under but  shouldn’t: The kid from the DogHouse (He’s not from the DogHouse, but I’ve heard him referred as this repeatedly)

If commitment is a qualification for MOHA candidate, Kevin Kaye has shown his commitment to Northeasternthrough it’s basketball team. Kevin is a founding member of the N Zone, the DogHouse for basketball.

“It was a test run, to see if people would jump on and show up at basketball games,” Kevin says. For the past two years, Kevin has won N’centives-the contest in which one earns points for attending NU sports games. One of the reasons Kevin is running for MOHA is to promote Northeastern athletics. “I did this so the athletics could be seen more visibly in school. It’s a way to build up Husky Pride. Athletics are one thing that any school has. It’s a big part of pride, but not so much here. I would like to do that.”

Besides sitting on the court for basketball games-both home and away-Kevin is a hockey fan. He sits in the “Dong House” opposite of the Dog House.  He proudly sings his favorite cheer, The Fight Song, which he says he wishes more people knew. Unsurprisingly, Kevin says that Matthews arena is his favorite spot in Northeastern, full of both good and bad memories, and his favorite spot in Boston is the Harbor at night. When he’s not out exploring the city, you can probably find him on duty as an RA in West Village A.

As passionate as he is about sports, Kevin is equally passionate about Northeastern’s other aspects. “I love this campus-being in the city, but not being in the city. The feeling where I can walk around and see grass and see trees and take a step that way and be in the heart of the city.”  Kevin also loves to the unique experience of co-op, which he hopes will guarantee him a job.

When asked why students should care about and vote for MOHA, Kevin responds, “I think a lot of people don’t know a lot about it, including me for the past two years. But, I think it is a tradition. I’m all about tradition, so hopefully that will interest people. And, this is something unique to Northeastern.”  

5 words by Kevin to describe him or his campaign
1. Husky pride
2. Care
3. Fun
4. Honest
5. Open (for suggestions)

Peter Petrin

Hometown: Hillsborough, NC
Year: 4th year junior
Major: Political science, business minor
Representing organization: Phi Delta Theta
Website: Petrinformayor.weebly.com
Slogan/catchphrase: “BE NU”
Category you’ll probably file him under but shouldn’t: That other poli-sci frat guy

If you’ve been involved in on-campus activities, you’ve probably met or at least know the name Peter Petrin. Peter believes that whoever is elected MOHA should have a lot of energy, which he’s proven with his involvement in student life. Peter has his full campus involvement typed up on his campaign website, but the short list includes Generation Citizen, a founding member and VP of Phi Delta Theta, Peace through Play, being an RA in IV, treasurer of Political Science Student Association and involvement with SGA        

Peter’s campaign slogan is “BE NU,” a phrase he developed from the NU pledge. He wants it to convey a message that emphasizes that the NU experience is about being unique and “using all that the university offers to become a better version of yourself.” Peter drew on his own experience for his inspiration. He came to Northeastern as a more introverted and shy person than he will leave it, thanks to all the entrepreneurial opportunities he’s taken advantage of.

Peter believes it is the job of the MOHA to share experiences and stories of the Northeastern experience with alumni. “I consider it an awesome opportunity to learn about students life and what different students are doing to represent leadership everyday,” he says.  

Peter stresses that leadership is not just shown through positions such as MOHA; it is show through a variety of ways such as class projects, co-op, international travel and student orientation leadership, and that all students have the opportunity to be leaders.

Peter’s reiterated message is about the importance of the Northeastern experience. His advice to students is on his website: “I truly believe that the Northeastern experience provides each of us with the opportunity to become the best version of ourselves, and come my Golden Grad years, I plan to look back on this experience with nothing but gratitude and fond memories, and be confident that I made an impact on this campus, and that this campus made an impact on me.  As a Golden Grad, I shall tirelessly brag that I am and always will be proud to be a Husky.””

5 words from Peter to describe him or his campaign
1. Unique
2. Passionate
3. Proud
4. Community
5. Connected

Veronica Li        

Hometown:  Greenwich, CT
Year: 4th year Junior
Major: Business, Entrepreneurship  
Representing organization: None. (Explained below)
Website:  Veronica for Mayor of Huntington Ave
Slogan/catchphrase: VRock the Vote
Category you’ll probably file her under but shouldn’t: That girl who’s running 

As Beyonce said, “Who runs the world? Girls.”  If she’s right, Veronica may be the next MOHA, and the first female mayor in years.  Running as the lone female candidate isn’t the only unconventional part of Veronica Li’s campaign: she is also running without representing a student organization.

“I’m not representing an organization this year-I’m running independently. I’ve decided not to run with a group, mainly because I felt that in this position as mayor, I wanted to represent the student body as a whole and not exclude other student organizations that I’m not a part of. Now I’m able to represent the typical Northeastern student-I want to represent everyone,” she says.

Veronica is quick to point out that she is very passionate about the organizations in which she is involved in, despite running without their backing. She has been an e-board member for Peace Through Play, as well as a member of Entrepreneurship Club, NuMix and Girl Scouts among others. “These organizations have been a huge part of my life for the past three years, so their support is extremely important, it’s where I’ve made a lot of connections.”

Veronica came to Northeastern for the business program and with the help of the Entrepreneurship Club, has begun to develop an idea for a future company, Essentials, which will provide a healthy alternative to convenience stores. The co-op program has been a learning experience for Veronica, who says that it has made her into a stronger and more professional leader, skills that will help her as mayor.  

Veronica is quick to point out she knows Northeastern is not a perfect school, but that shouldn’t stop students from showcasing their Husky Pride. “What’s great about this school are NU students. There is so much diversity-that doesn’t just refer color of your skin or your background, but also the diversity of interests here on campus.” As mayor, Veronica believes her duty would be to help create a more unified community that is proud to show Northeastern spirit. “Sometimes it may take some encouragement for someone to realize how proud they are to be a Northeastern student,” she says. But above all, Veronica is true to her personality and says the biggest factor here is simply fun. “I’m doing this for fun. Homecoming has been around for decades. It seems as through every year more students are passing over homecoming traditions. So many alumni have had so many great memories-people would stand on top of Ell to campaign and that’s awesome.”

Veronica wants to leave Northeastern proud of her alma mata. “Don’t you want a story to tell? I want a story to tell. That’s why I’m running around, making sure students have fun and are showing school spirit.”

5 words from Veronica to describe her or her campaign
1. Crazy
2. Girl-power
3. Spandex
4. Fierce
5. V-Rockin’