This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Tired of rolling out of bed for classes and feeling like every day is the same?  You’ve come to the right place!

Here are my 7 tips and tricks to conquering your morning routine. (note – they’re easy!!)

1. WAKE UP, GIRL!  

Instead of waking up 20 minutes before class, try to get up one hour before your first class begins, especially if it’s an 8 am. It’s ESSENTIAL. You may ask, Why do I need 60 minutes when I only take 10 min to get ready? These 60 minutes will be the utmost, crucial part upon which the foundation of the rest of your day builds.

1. JOURNAL!

Writing at the beginning of the day is an absolute must. Here’s the beauty of it: You get to choose the format. Here are three methods that I have used in the past that have worked for me: 

• Set a 5-10 min timer and dump everything in your mind down on paper.
  • Write 3 things you’re anxious about today (it feels good to write this down and not have those thoughts trapped in that mind of yours).
  • Write down what you need to accomplish today – a to-do list!

I like to switch up how I write in the morning so that I keep the process fun, so here’s my current journaling format for inspo:

SECTION #1: WHAT I’M GRATEFUL FOR 

Create three bullet points. They can be short and sweet. By focusing on what you’re grateful for, your mind will rewire itself to focus on the positives which ultimately lifts your mood for the rest of the day!!! (Who doesn’t want to be happy???)

• I’m grateful for getting pumpkin-spice lattes with my best friend 
  • I’m grateful for calling my long-distance boyfriend yesterday 
  • I’m grateful for hitting my water goal last week 

SECTION #2: WHAT I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO

Focus on what you’re excited about, but only for that day. I get it, you may be excited about things later in the week, but personally, I try to make sure I have 3 things that very day that make me excited. 

• I’m looking forward to studying at a coffee shop after class 
  • I’m looking forward to getting dinner with my roommate 
  • I’m looking forward to my hot-girl walk on Newbury 

SECTION #3 I AM’s

This section is the most valuable. Each and every day we must remind ourselves of our worth. Don’t just write on the page, “I am smart.” Be creative and true here. Write how you WANT to feel that day, write like you really mean it. 

• I am powerful and won’t let anyone walk all over me.
  • I am confident in the way I dress 
  • I am allowed to feel my emotions

See?? EASYYY!!!! This does not take long. Even if it takes me just 5 minutes to write it all down, I already feel like I have a clearer head getting my day started 

1. PLAN AN OUTFIT THE NIGHT BEFORE.

I hate trying on clothes at 10:00 pm after I finish my homework. My mind is tired and I just wanna snuggle up in bed. But, this will end up saving you so much time in the morning. It also gets you excited about what you’re planning to wear the next day. I hang up my outfit the night before and pick out the jewelry I’ll pair with it too. 

1. POD-FREAKIN’-CAST.

Get this on the second you wake up. There are millions of podcasts out there, so you can find one that works best for you. You can even search Youtube videos like, “Start my morning strong” or “5 min morning.” Anything you want to hear depending your mood, play it. So many Tiktokers host podcasts too. Do some research. Podcasts always get me inspired and ready to go.

1. MAKE YOUR BED!

This is an obvious one but highly recommend it.

1. OPEN YOUR SHADES!

When you’re getting ready for the day, pull those blinds up. Even if it’s a cloudy day, getting ready with your blinds down is depressing. We all need a lil light. And if it is a sunny day, then bonus. Sunlight = happiness. Sunlight also lifts endorphins.

1. GET FUELED UP

I can’t stress enough how important it is to start eating right, first thing in the morning. I’m not saying you need to eat this perfectly balanced plate of carbs, protein, and fats, but eat something that your body will thank you for, whether it’s a lil yogurt bowl, protein bar, or avocado toast w/ eggs. Oh, and obviously coffee. So… Now that you’ve read these rules, you no longer have to give into a bad day. It’s in your hands. Wake up and girlboss the day away.

Michelle Sylvester

Northeastern '25

Michelle Sylvester is a third year communications and media studies major minoring in psychology. She loves to do her work in coffee shops around Boston, create social media content, journal, watch sunsets, work out, and sing.