Style > Fashion

I Raided Marianne Sheridan’s Summer Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

The 2020 Hulu adaptation of Sally Rooney’s novel Normal People struck a chord with people across the country and globe. Marianne and Connell’s story is one about the right person at the wrong time, the stars never quite seeming to align. This, however, is not an article about the story or the impact that it had on me. This is a piece about how completely, head-over-heels in love I am with Marianne Sheridan’s, played by Daisy Edgar Jones, outfits throughout the show.

Below are just a few things that I’ll be wearing this summer to try to channel Daisy Edgar Jones’ Italian countryside vibe.

This button-through maxi dress from Abercrombie is perfect for study dates in Centennial Commons or a walk down Commonwealth Avenue. It’s ridiculously comfortable and versatile without being boring. A black dress never goes out of style, and it’s something I think belongs in every closet.

The way that Marianne pairs the understated yet elegant dress with her white Keds easily dresses it down while still creating a complete look. Every time this outfit pops up on my Pinterest, I wish I was eating gelato on a cobblestone street somewhere.

When Connell first sees Marianne at the villa, she’s hanging laundry in an adorable A-line shirt dress. Abercombie’s linen mini dress is my version of this summer staple. I got it in black, but it’s just as cute in every color. 

Square necklines are something I just recently started wearing, and I’m now completely addicted. Wear this little number to the beach. Wear it to go thrifting. Wear it on a cutesy little brunch date. Wear it anywhere. It doesn’t matter; you’ll get compliments regardless.

This dress from Princess Polly gives running through a field and not worrying that you have a tick on your leg, strolling through a tulip field or sipping lemonade on a sunny porch in the middle of summer. 

This is the dress Marianne wears to host a group of friends, and it’s a perfect combination of frilly and structured. While my pick isn’t as embellished, it’s still a perfect option when you just feel like dressing up a little bit.

Boston’s summer weather is not my cup of tea. I’m partial to the wind and clouds of fall or the rain that comes with the first hint of spring. If I’m going to be sweltering all summer, I’m at least going to do it in style. Marianne Sheridan’s style, that is.

Sam Campbell

Northeastern '25

nursing student from san francisco. loves sweet tea, old books, and visiting new places.