Style > Beauty

How I’m Working to Revive My Damaged Hair (and Why You Should Too)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Since I began my co-op, I have had a lot of free time on my hands. I decided to take this opportunity to try and revive my hair and skin. In the last two years, I’ve done balayage twice, which unfortunately applied bleach to my naturally dark hair. As expected, the sulfate in the drug store products caused my hair to dry out. 

I decided to research several products and consult hairstylists about which products they would recommend for my hair type so that I could finally have the beautiful, flowy hair I always wanted. After a recent, eye-opening haircut, I threw out my drug store hair products — Love, Beauty, Planet Shampoo and Conditioner, I10 Heat Protector and Penetrating Oil from Argan Oil of Morocco — to invest in spa products. Here’s why you should too.

Shampoo: Virtue Full Shampoo

I first used this product after a hairstylist used it for my most recent haircut and I highly recommend it. Virtue is a fairly new brand that believes in rebuilding your hair with its natural proteins. Virtue’s scientists take Keratin — the protein that makes up almost 90% of our hair, skin and nails — to develop Alpha Keratin 60ku. My hair is thin and straight, so the full shampoo gives my hair a volume boost. All Virtue products are also cruelty free, vegan, and free of sulfates and parabens. 

Get it from Sephora for $15

Conditioner: Virtue Full Conditioner

Of course, I needed to complete the set. The first time I put this conditioner in my hair, I felt my damaged ends being restored. In less than three weeks, my ends have been looking softer and stronger than they have in months.

Get it from Sephora for $16

Healing Oil: Virtue Healing Oil

Yes, a third Virtue product! My hairstylist instructed me to put two to three drops of this oil in my hair immediately after every shower. And let me just say — wow! I used to find myself reapplying hair oil to prevent my ends from getting dry, or else my hair would become overly greasy. This healing oil replenishes shine and softness while also moisturizing damaged hair. Each day my hair is left with a grease-free, glossy finish that I’d only ever dreamed of before.

Get it from Sephora for $42

Oil Treatment: Moroccanoil Treatment

While Virtue’s Heating Oil has done wonders for my hair, sometimes I need a little extra boost to get through a long day. Moroccanoil Treatment does just the trick. This anti-frizz and nourishing hair oil detangles, styles and shines hair. I usually like to put this treatment oil in my hair before blow-drying and styling, but I also sometimes add it to my dry hair later in the day.

Get it from Sephora for $15

Heat Protectant (and Detangler): Amika The Wizard Detangling Hair Primer

One of the greatest struggles I’ve had in my journey for stronger and healthier hair is finding a heat protectant that did not leave my hair feeling sticky. I either spray the product into my hands or directly in my hair before using my blow-dry hairbrush. Not only does this product have benefits for hair care, but Amika is also cruelty-free, vegan certified and recyclable — all whilst smelling like a summer daydream!

Get it from Sephora for $25

While this journey has been more expensive than my usual runs to CVS or Walgreens, I’ve become more happy with my hair and more confident with myself. Even after one hair wash with Virtue products, my hair felt lighter and healthier. After three weeks of using these products, my hair was noticeably healthier to my friends and family. I encourage everyone to explore the option of spa hair products and begin their journey toward voluminous and healthy hair. 

Communications and Media and Screen Studies student at Northeastern University