This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Being quarantined can make life feel confusing, stressful, and isolating. While 2020 has been a year of unpredictable and unprecedented events, it’s vital we focus on the relationships we share with the people around us. Maintaining these relationships will allow us to feel uplifted, encouraged, and more optimistic about the future. During this time of uncertainty, it is crucial that we work on our relationships with the people that we are closest to and attempt to maintain stability and security with our loved ones. Think about it this way: after quarantine is over, we will have the best time seeing our loved ones again! When it comes to your partner, whether they live 2,000 miles away or are sharing a home with you, here are some tips on how to be a good quarantine partner. 

If you are in a long-distance relationship during social distancing, here are some suggestions on how to be a good quarantine partner: 

1. Make time for them. There is no better time to have quality time together! Watch a movie together using Netflix Party, House Party, or any other streaming network to see each other’s reactions during your favorite comedy or creepy mystery! 

2. Send them a letter and let them know that you are thinking of them. This handmade gesture goes a long way and can mean much more than a simple text.

3 Fine Ballpoint Gold Crystal Pens in Glossy White Gift Box
    Amazon

3. Send messages to let them know how much they mean to you throughout the week. Even though we have more time at home than usual, we may forget to message the ones we love and keep them updated. Let them know how you are doing, and make sure you are also checking in with them. These little check-ins will make your partner feel more secure and your emotional bond will only get stronger. 

4. Pick a book to read together! Since many of us are becoming increasingly tech-savvy these days for work or for school, if you pick a book to read together, it will build your connection as well as your vocabulary! It can encourage you to get creative, take 15-20 minutes of your day to let go of your worries, and get lost in the world of someone else for a while. 

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen, book, flowers, roses
    Elaine Howlin | Unsplash

5. Make playlists for each other! Look online and find some of your favorite songs that remind you of your partner. When you send your partner their personalized playlist, there is no way they won’t feel like the most special person in the world! 

For the partners who are quarantining together: 

1. Cook a meal for them! You both can take turns making each other breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or, if you want and you’re brave enough, you can try to cook together! My boyfriend and I have been quarantining together for about two months, and he has made all kinds of food for me and my mom, such as waffles, omelets, chicken parmesan, and more! This gives you a chance to show off your cooking skills or learn something new. If one of you cooks, see if the other person can clean and you can take turns. 

a woman stands over the stove cutting an herb out of a pot on the window sill with a pair of scissors. there are pans of pasta stirfry on the burner.
    Tina Dawson | Unsplash

2. Play board games! While this may seem a bit old-fashioned, this can be really fun. If you are living with more than just the two of you, invite family members or friends, as they may want a chance to bond with you as well. Get out /monopoly or some card games and see who the champion of the house will be. 

3. Paint! Paint some materials laying around, like an old water bottle, a canvas, or some old clothes! This can be fun and engaging and can function as a stress reliever. 

watercolor heart
    stux via Pixabay

4. Make daily lists of things that both of you are grateful for. This will build a sense of gratuity for the world around you and make you appreciate the little things that your partner does for you. This list can include things that your partner does for you or things like your health, family, or school.

5. Exercise together! This can mean doing a workout on Youtube with your partner to simply going on a walk (assuming you are in a place where social distancing is viable and safe). 

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
    Kike Vega

6. Do a bear hunt! Places all over the country have been putting up stuffed bears in their windows so children, families, and people all over their local communities can drive or walk around and have something fun to do during isolation. Whoever gets the most bears gets to choose what’s dinner that night. 

7. Make sure you also ask your partner how they are feeling during this time. If they need a bit of space and would like a room for a while, give it to them. We all have different levels of social needs, and if your partner is more introverted, give them some space. Make sure that your communication is staying on track. Just because you are with them all of the time does not always mean that they will tell you about how they are feeling. This is why open communication and dialogue is key, no matter what the situation may be! 

Overall, there is a vast majority of ideas you can execute to maintain the relationship that you share with your partner during this time. Please stay healthy during this time and try something off of this list with your partner! 

Lindsey Parcell

Northeastern '23

Hi! I'm Lindsey Parcell, and I'm currently a Nursing Student at Northeastern University. I am originally from New Mexico. My favorite things are green chile, a good book, and the color pink.
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.