This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As we switch gears from Thanksgiving to the holidays, we amp up spending to purchase gifts for our loved ones. Throwing our wallets at trendy stores last minute may end up with great presents, but it hurts the environment. By implementing just a few things, you can make your holiday shopping so much more sustainable.

We spend billions on gift wrapping each year during this season. Most of us rip them apart without a second thought and they end up in landfills unable to be recycled. Gift bags are a great alternative. With a note asking for it to be reused, we can add less to our growing trash. Recyclable materials such as newspaper or gift wrapping paper from companies like Wrappily are other methods to cut down on waste.

START EARLY. We all know the panic near the end of the month that pushes us to buy with expedited shipping. As convenient as it is, all the transportation to get the items delivered is easily avoidable. Make a solid list of all the presents you want to buy and shop using more eco-friendly methods of delivery. 

Research on the stores you are browsing through is essential. We all know that major stores will overlook the catastrophic effects of their production methods. There are a myriad of companies looking to better the world around them while still providing great gifts; all you have to do is search!

Secondhand stores are deep seas of distinctive and meaningful items. You can be sure that every piece has its own story and that new ones can be made with your favorite person. Everything from designer clothes to antique jewelry can be bought from second-hand stores both in-person and online. 

Let’s do our part during the holidays! Happy shopping everyone!

Yeani Kwon

Northeastern '24

My name is Yeani Kwon. I am currently a freshman at Northeastern University majoring in biology on the pre-med track.
Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.