This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Being in college, it’s been difficult to find the time to enjoy the hobbies I used to love. With the combined time of studying for classes and looking for a co-op, it can be hard trying to fit in leisure activities amid my crazy busy schedule. Co-op semesters tend to offer a more free schedule. While working, I don’t have to come home and study for an exam, work on a group project or write a paper. However, at the beginning of my co-op recently, I would come home from a full-time shift and scroll on TikTok for hours. Over the first couple weeks, I did pick up some hobbies though that I loved doing when I was in high school along with ones I hadn’t had the time for while in college classes here at Northeastern. Here are four hobbies that I thoroughly enjoy doing while being on co-op. If you’re working and are bored out of your mind, or if you’re in classes and you have some downtime, maybe you can pick these up as well! 

1. Reading 

Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve always loved to read. Since starting college at Northeastern, I haven’t had the time to read for pleasure like I did back in high school. But, being on co-op has given me the opportunity to get back into reading. I started reading “The Great Alone” by Kristin Hannah which is a fantastic book! I highly recommend it if you like historical drama fiction. If you live on Northeastern campus, you can go shopping at Trident Booksellers and Cafe on Newbury street; that’s where I bought this book. If you’re looking for a really engaging read, Trident has thousands of books to choose from, and they’re not too expensive either! 

1. Making Art

Another one of my favorite hobbies was art! What I love about it is that you have free rein; there are no rules and you can express yourself the way you want to. I was so glad I was able to continue my love for making art while on co-op! I went shopping at Blick on Fenway here in Boston where I bought some sketchbooks, paint and markers. Making art is also a great method to de-stress when you get home from a stressful shift! 

1. Watching Movies and TV Shows

Who doesn’t love watching movies and TV shows? It’s so refreshing to get home from a stressful shift, have dinner, take a shower and hop into your bed with your favorite comfort show on. I’ve been binge watching the iconic TV show, “Full House,” which is available to watch on HBO Max! There is this movie I watched on Hulu about a week ago called “Run” starring Sarah Paulson and Kiera Allen. It’s a fantastic psychological thriller, and who can go wrong with Sarah Paulson? If there are movies or TV Shows that you’ve been dying to watch and now you have the time, there are countless of those available on streaming services! 

1. Listening to Podcasts 

Some people may think that listening to podcasts wouldn’t be considered a hobby, but since it is something you do during downtime, I consider it a hobby. Whether I’m cleaning my room, on my way to work or doing laundry, I’m almost always listening to either music or podcasts. I love true crime, and I’m ashamed to admit it, but I may listen to true crime podcasts a little more than I should. Nevertheless, if you’re looking for something to listen to during downtime, and you love mysteries and true crime, I’m the person you turn to for recommendations. “Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories,” hosted by Carter Roy and Wendy Mackenzie; “Crime Junkie,” hosted by Ashley Flowers; and “Small Town Murder,” hosted by James Pietragallo and Jimmie Whisman are three true crime podcasts that I love! They have hundreds of episodes, and they’re all free to listen to on Spotify! 

These are just four hobbies that I partake in, but if you’re looking for something different to fill up your pastime, there are countless things you can do with your free time. Find something that makes you happy because you deserve to have some fun during your busy life! 

Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)