From Paris to London : What I Learned As a First-Time Traveler 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

By Grace Ulferts 

Over winter break, I traveled to France and then took the Eurostar underwater train to London! It was my first time out of the country and I absolutely loved the trip. During my week in Europe, there are numerous things that I learned and became aware of as an American traveling internationally for the first time. If you’re thinking of traveling abroad and you’ve never been out of the country (or you have, but not often) here are eight pieces of advice.

1. Make sure your debit/credit card is set up for international purchases!

If you want to use your debit and/or credit card abroad, visit your bank to set up your card so it can make international purchases! I did not know I had to do this, so I’m glad my mom told me to. Just make sure to tell your bank teller the country/countries you’ll be visiting and how long you’ll be abroad. Then, you are all set!

1. On a similar note, exchange your money!

Once you arrive at your international destination, make sure to exchange your money for that country’s currency. Usually you can do this at kiosks in the airport. It’s crucial to do this because not every place you go to will accept debit or credit cards, and it’s always a good idea to carry cash around anyways. 

1. Learn the language 

I’m a bit ashamed to say this but I didn’t make an effort to learn any French before my trip, and I definitely should have. If you’re traveling to a country where the primary language isn’t English, definitely learn at least some basic phrases. This might seem like common knowledge, but if not, learn from my mistakes! I was incredibly grateful for Google Translate, but you should definitely aim for learning the basics of the language. Not only will it make your visit easier, but locals will definitely appreciate that you, as a foreigner, tried to learn their language. 

1. Bring a portable charger when you’re out! 

When you visit places, you’ll probably be out all day. If you’re out all day, you probably will be on your phone taking photos, texting your friends and looking up Google Translate. A portable charger is a lifesaver, especially if you get lost when trying to use public transportation (which happened to me a lot of the time!) On a similar note, make sure to get an outlet adapter so your chargers work internationally.

1. Prepare for the flights!

I was not prepared for that 8 hour flight (or the subsequent jet lag). I made the mistake of only downloading 2 hours worth of Netflix shows and not bringing any books with me. If you’re flying internationally, you’re going to have a long flight, so prepare! Bring a bunch of books, download movies, shows, music or podcasts onto your phone and invest in a neck pillow if you plan on sleeping. To prevent jet lag, definitely prioritize resting once you arrive, even if you did sleep on the plane.

1. Make A Travel Itinerary 

Make a schedule for all of the attractions you want to see and the activities you want to do so you don’t waste time. I was only in Europe for a week, but my family and I made a jam-packed travel itinerary and we accomplished so much and saw so many things. You never know if you’ll be able to go to this place again, so be sure to make the most of your time. 

1. Don’t just go to the known tourist attractions 

All of France is not like Paris, and all of England is not like London. I think that visitors should see the ‘non-touristy’ side of countries. My family and I spent a lot of time in the suburbs of Paris, which was just as nice as being in the middle of the city. It’s nice to see how locals live outside of tourism, and it’s good to support local businesses in the smaller cities!

1. Lastly, take some pictures! 

France and England are absolutely beautiful. I genuinely could not put my phone down when I was out because I kept taking photos. Below are a couple of photos I took while traveling.
Nw1z3J8Lor6dAcaFIoCdRcfgg S4aAykqAYmr sIZbwWLfJ 3yABKcTUJpesY5yz3S5gezfYCHFAZmYi1GSJ3uMrYU3qoZZpElOW9hiNGnaXdSnTQcs8f0H13zaBU4ekcRwhgbPmBByGrbhFzbSigyIfv3a2LeknFYQwxRr2lWMtm 4ydkke9feFU4odtYr9MWz5bO9wf cmilEbODN0lV2GBs8b0bSS7JxizjBUqYk4RRmozVa2XpdZfb64uPfJCc5iVBI NuQTLqNLywj6 RX17DHgTF2zQj Botb1

Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)