Life > Experiences

Five Tips for Study Abroad Based on My Experience in Cambodia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Last summer, I traveled to Cambodia to partake in one of Northeastern University’s Dialogue of Civilizations. Dialogues are summer study abroad programs that usually run between four and six weeks. They offer quick and exciting opportunities to study in a foreign country and are, therefore, quite popular among students at the University. 

Fortunately for me, the Honors Program at Northeastern pays for Dialogue travel expenses if students in the program participate in one after their first year. So when I chose Northeastern’s Honors Program, I knew I wanted to participate in a Dialogue, and my experience surpassed all expectations and hopes. 

I chose Food and Culture in Cambodia because I didn’t want to study in a country where I could see myself easily ending up at some point in my life. I wanted to truly make the most out of the opportunity and open myself up to something unique I likely wouldn’t stumble upon in the future. Cambodia was perfect for reaching those goals. I learned more during that month than in any other 30 day period of my life, and I got to experience a tremendously beautiful culture I previously knew little about. I could go into a whole other article about all I appreciate in Cambodia, but I’ll save that for another time. For now, I’ve put together a list of some tips I learned through my experience. 

1. Before you go out in whatever country you’re studying abroad in, prepare yourself for the elements.

Lean into the sunscreen and bug spray, and have a rain jacket on hand for stormy weather. Don’t let a nasty sunburn or bug bites up and down your legs prevent you from having a great time. 

I personally used Supergoop on areas that would be exposed before heading out during the day and reapplied if I was spending prolonged time outside. I also wore a lot of thin, light layers that covered my arms and legs to help me relax knowing that I was protecting myself with clothing. In countries like Cambodia, certain diseases that are transmitted by insects can be prevalent, so I was good about either covering up or using bug spray at night to help keep me safe. Not to worry though, none of our group had any issues with disease as they are not super common. It’s always good to take precautionary measures and follow health and safety guidelines before and during your travel, however.

1. Think about your period before you go.

For all who menstruate, since you will likely be gone long enough to experience at least one period, you’ll want to think through the options that will be available to you wherever you are studying abroad. Do some light research ahead of time, and if you have period products you prefer, make sure to bring some with you to ensure you have access to what you like. 

I would also seriously consider investing in some period underwear before you travel. Even if the concept of free bleeding isn’t appealing to you, period underwear can be used in conjunction with other period products as a backup plan or extra support. In some countries, Cambodia being one of them, access to restrooms can be limited, and it’s best to be extra prepared when you go out for the day. Period underwear can be great for peace of mind during your monthly cycle.

1. Make a plan for connectivity before you go.

You have several options for keeping your phone fully functioning as you travel, and I highly recommend investing in one of them as a safety measure and also as a means of being able to stay in touch with loved ones. There’s definitely something to say about being unplugged, but I felt much more comfortable, especially as a woman, knowing I could make phone calls, conduct internet searches, use my gps, etc. as I moved throughout Cambodia.

I opted to get a sim card at an electronics shop in Cambodia during my second day there, but I also used my international phone plan through Verizon during my later trip to Thailand for ease as I solo traveled. I appreciated how inexpensive the sim card option was, and it was super easy once I got to the phone shop. You can usually ask your hotel for a recommendation on a place to buy one. They are also commonly sold at airports. The main thing to remember is putting your old sim card in a very safe place, so you can easily restore your normal phone number later.

1. Pack light, and bring an extra bag for items you’ll buy while you’re there.

I promise; you don’t need as much stuff as you think you do, and you can also fit way more in a carry-on suitcase than you think you can. I packed for two months of travel in Southeast Asia in a carry-on suitcase, and I left my backpack empty for souvenirs I knew I would buy while traveling. 

Utilizing packing cubes to their full potential, I managed to pack seven short sleeve shirts, three dresses, two skirts, one cardigan, ten tank tops, seven long sleeves, 13 pairs of shorts, six pairs of pants, and one extra pair of shoes (this list was brought to you by my notes app). In addition to all the clothing, I packed ample amounts of bug spray, sunscreen, covid tests, face masks, toiletries, travel soap etc. 

So while a carry-on might be slightly limiting, packing techniques such as rolling your clothes and maximizing where you put your items can really allow you to fit a lot. In fact, I packed more than I needed although I did appreciate having most of my items with me. I created a versatile wardrobe and strategically picked one pair of shoes, my Chacos, that I wore almost every day. I also went light on the jewelry. Depending on your destination, it might be safer and allow you to relax more if you forego expensive jewelry.

1. Try to find some time to process your new experiences while you’re there.

While it will be great to think back on your trip once it’s over (hopefully), it can be really helpful to start practicing appreciation and recognition of your time studying abroad when you’re still there. This can be done in a lot of different ways. Keep a journal, or debrief what you witness and partake in with friends. Spend some solo time at a cafe pondering your excursions and lessons learned. Walk around the city and try to be present with your surroundings. 

You’re partaking in an incredible, unique and privileged experience. There are so many things you’ll learn and areas you’ll grow in. I wish you the best of luck as you take this journey on. Please remember, spread kindness and gratitude no matter where you go, and enter new spaces with a listening ear and open mind. 

Riley Price

Northeastern '25

Riley Price is HCNU's Campus Correspondent and Executive & Editorial Coordinator. She is a third year student at Northeastern University from New Orleans, Louisiana. Outside of Her Campus, she is pursuing a degree in English and possesses a deep love for writing personal memoirs and critical essays. She consistently tackles social justice issues in her work to promote a kinder future. Riley is driven by the importance of ethical storytelling in a world riddled with misinformation and hopes to be a voice that stands out amongst the modern day cacophony.