Finding the Cure: ‘Senioritis’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Urban Dictionary defines “Senioritis” as a crippling disease that strikes seniors. Symptoms include: Laziness. It also features a lack of studying, repeated absences and a generally dismissive attitude. Senioritis can be diagnosed by the student, or more commonly by a professor. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.

To avoid the funk known as Senioritis, get involved in campus activities. The Senior Class Advisory Board has a calendar of events throughout the year for seniors to enjoy. Or you could attend events for the International Student and Scholar Institute’s Carnevale, a two-month-long university-wide celebration of cultural diversity. Attend a variety of events to taste food from countries around the world and listen to music from different cultures. Once you graduate, finding free food is a rare occasion, so take advantage of it now.

Although your parents and professors might disagree, Conor Larkins, Punter’s Pub and Our House East are vital to the Northeastern experience. Where else would you go on a Friday afternoon to celebrate the beginning of the weekend? You will probably move onto bigger and better bars once you graduate, so spend time there now. Once you’re not an undergraduate anymore, you will regret not taking advantage of those $8 Rolling Rock pitchers at Conor’s.

While you’re only a stone’s throw away from Boston’s famous sights and attractions, set a goal to see something new each weekend. Start by exploring a new neighborhood. Instead of bringing your parents to the Cheesecake Factory in the Prudential Center for the 57th time, take a journey on the T into a different neighborhood, such as the North End. You really can’t go wrong on Hanover Street, which is made up of countless restaurants serving the best Italian cuisine you will ever taste. Once you finish dinner, stop in at Mike’s Pastry to try one of the famous cannolis everyone raves about (they’re literally heaven on Earth). Before heading back to your comfort zone on Huntington Avenue, you could even see a show at the Improv Asylum, which is also on Hanover Street.

Another way to explore Boston is to visit a tourist destination. You might have been to the New England Aquarium before, but did you know they often change some of their exhibits? You could get up close and personal with sharks and rays in the Shark & Ray Touch Tank, or watch orangutans and elephants return to the wild in an IMAX 3D movie. You might be asking yourself if you’re too old to be excited about touching a shark or watching elephants jump out at you in another dimension. But trust me, wanting to visit the aquarium now will be more socially acceptable than when you’re working a 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. job.

If the rest of the winter continues with these unrealistic temperatures, you really don’t have an excuse not to follow that red brick line that you pass every time you walk downtown. Most seniors are probably well-aware of how historical Boston is, but exploring the city’s aspects is a must for a senior bucket list. See 16 historical sites by walking the 2.5-mile Freedom Trail, including where John Hancock and Samuel Adams were buried, the Boston Massacre site, the Old North Church and even the State House.

You have worked so hard in your undergraduate career that it would be a waste to ruin it now. Stay focused on the future. Remember to go to class. It’s easy to fall into the rut of Senioritis, but the courses you are currently taking still count toward your GPA. It might sound crazy, but treat the coursework with the same attitude you had freshman year, which was hopefully positive and ambitious. In reality, rising tuition costs mean that you and your parents are paying more money now for you to attend each class at Northeastern than when you were a freshman. So don’t slack off.

Although it might ruin a bit of your fun, staying focused on the future also includes applying for jobs. But do this sooner rather than later. Instead of waiting until the night before graduation, start planning ahead for your job hunt. You have a better chance at landing that dream job if you spend time updating and strengthening your resume and cover letters now, instead of stressing out and cramming to finish two days before graduation.

Also, don’t forget to maintain and strengthen the connections you have made at Northeastern. Whether it is with friends, professors, former co-op employers or the card-swiper at the gym, you became close with some people for a reason. You never know who will become the next CEO of a big company or who you might need to rely on as a reference someday. Don’t leave without  reminding them of your existence.

It’s true: You can’t get back your college years. Spend your time wisely and don’t let Senioritis get in the way of your fun and future plans. After all, everyone always says this is the best time of your life. Go ahead and prove them right!

Photos: mattbatorwordpress,  US News Travel

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.