This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Even COVID-19 couldn’t stop fashion week. If anything, the pandemic has opened and diversified the artistic arena for designers to showcase their creative work, such as shows in the form of short films and music videos.

“Guest-free” shows like Fendi and Etro have made way for striking scenes and eye-catching cinematography. Brands such as Raissa Vanessa and Ulla Johnson have cleverly used architecture and music to enhance the dramatic, romantic themes of their lines. As models slowly walk into the turning frame, the movement of fabric and chains breathes life into the pieces. These modern features allow newer brands like these to step into the limelight alongside more well-known brand names.

Other brands have ventured further into the technology of it all. Hanifa’s show earned itself much acclamation with its use of 3-D models and clothing that seemed to walk on its own. Though these advances are not new, designers have been quick to follow in Hanifa and Mugler’s footsteps to incorporate computer-generated imagery to create digital versions of models. 

To no surprise, those who have delved too deep into the technical aspects have lost the attention towards what matters the most—the clothing. Celine’s menswear line featured fast-moving camerawork and models walking around a castle in high definition. Overall, the collection was coherent and interesting to look at, so it is unfortunate that the focus was drawn towards everything but fashion itself. 

The dynamic and revolutionary nature of the fashion industry will prove itself in the years to come. What designers can compose with the technological resources available will captivate the world. And we can’t wait to see what will come next.

Yeani Kwon

Northeastern '24

My name is Yeani Kwon. I am currently a freshman at Northeastern University majoring in biology on the pre-med track.