Eight tips to become a networking queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

At a school that offers a co-operative education program, the working world is at our fingertips. Whether you’re in the process of searching for your first co-op, or you’ve completed three, networking is one of the most important skills to learn and perfect. As co-op coordinator Alison Nogueira says, “Networking is the number one way for job seekers to find the most appropriate job.  Having a list of people who can vouch for your work and make recommendations is very powerful.”  Not sure how to network, or looking for new ways to try? No worries, NU – Her Campus has you covered. Whether it’s your first or last co-op, make it count by following these eight networking tips!

1. Tell your boss what you’re interested in during your first few weeks on the job
Depending on where your next or current co-op is, your supervisor may have a meeting with you in the first few weeks to list out what goals you plan to reach in the next six months. (If your supervisor doesn’t usually do this, ask to meet with him or her) Take this meeting as an opportunity to tell your supervisor what you are interested in, what you would like to get out of your co-op experience, or even your future career goals. Employers have great advice, and have broad networks of former co-workers, friends, and past supervisors they can connect you with. This is a great opportunity for your supervisor to get to know your personal and professional goals, and of course, to network!

2. Get to know the head of the department
Unless you work for a small company, you will most likely be working for someone under the head of the department at your co-op. If your supervisor IS the head of the department, you’re already one step ahead! An important networking tip is to get to know the person who oversees your department.  

3. Set up informational interviews
Interested in a different department at your work? Informational interviews are the perfect way to learn more about a particular position or department. With permission from your supervisor, feel free to ask the head of marketing, sales, or even design to sit down, or even get lunch, for an informational interview, to learn more about what they do in their position, how they got there, what they are interested in, and more. Informational interviews more than often wind up as conversations, but they can be the most crucial ones! Be sure to arrive prepared with questions, and don’t forget to get their information to keep in touch with them in the future.

4. Offer to do interoffice errands

Inter-office errands can differ from delivering mail, to getting signatures for important documents. A great way to network is to offer to help your supervisor out with these tasks. Why? Someone is on the other end of these errands! When dropping off mail, strike up small talk conversation. Don’t be afraid to tell them who you are, businesses LOVE co-ops and interns because they are valuable to the company.  

5. Go to all after office hour events
After office hour events are the perfect opportunity to network outside of the walls of your department. Whether it’s a mixer, holiday party, or even retirement party, seek out someone you haven’t met yet. Co-workers are more than likely to open up to you without the stress of papers, e-mails, and phone calls surrounded by them, so take advantage. If you show off your smile and keep it professional, and it’s a win-win situation.

6. Offer to help in other departments
Sometimes there’s a chance that your work will get done early. If you’ve asked for more, and it’s a slow period, feel free to ask your supervisor if you can offer to help other departments.  This not only shows that you take initiative, but gives you an opportunity to meet new people at your company. So, kill two birds with one stone by taking initiative, and networking.

7. Join work committees or teams
Similar to after work parties, joining a work committee or the company’s softball team is the perfect opportunity to network outside of your cubicle. Employees from various departments take pride in joining work committees, whether it is the “green” committee to help the office become more eco-friendly, or the social committee that helps plan office events. Joining a committee will allow you to not only meet new people, but displays your personal interests as well. Joining the company softball team also gives you an opportunity to be part of a team outside of your department, which creates great connections inside and outside the office.

8. Get on Linkedin

Near the end or after your co-op, update your Linkedin page, or create one if you haven’t already. Linkedin is essentially a Facebook for professionals, allowing you to connect with current and past employers, and potential future ones. Once you have created and/or updated your page, add your new connections from your co-op. This allows you to have all your networked connections in one place (so much better than an excel sheet!), and keeps you fresh in their minds. This especially helps when beginning your next co-op search, and for post-graduation.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!