This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s 5:30 in the evening as I write this article on my laptop at a local coffee shop in Boston. Today, the weather is humid, the sky a darkish color — it feels like the quintessential fall day. With a podcast playing quietly in my ears, reminiscent thoughts entered my mind.

As a child, fall was my favorite season; you bet I watched every “Fall-Favorites” video by my favorite influencers on Youtube. I miss when my mouth would water as the pumpkin bread my mother made came out of the oven. I miss when my best friend and I would smother the bars in cream cheese frosting and my mom would laugh because at that point, there was more frosting than bread. I miss sitting by the fire with my family and my English Bulldog as we watched Halloween movies. Fall was something I would look forward to every year. 

Today, walking to this cafe, I realize I don’t participate in Fall activities anymore which is partly because I’m not at home. But what I mostly mean by this is that I don’t celebrate autumn like I used to. 

Oftentimes now, as a college student, stressed out a lot of the time, I associate fall with leaves falling off trees and looking stark, instead of the vibrant, beautiful colors that the changing leaves create. I associate fall with winter slowly creeping up on me instead of the crisp, refreshing air waking my face. I often view fall as a gloomy time rather than the beautiful season that it is. One that is full of exciting change. 

I believe that seasons are here to represent different chapters of our lives. Yes, many people feel that fall can bring with it upsetting and depressing feelings. But that’s only if you let the word “change” have a negative connotation. What if you switched your interpretation of “change” into a more positive meaning, one that sheds light? 

Consider allowing fall this year, and every year, to be a reminder that you are not supposed to stay the same. Change is how you grow and develop. 

Fall also doesn’t last that long, so embrace the beauty that surrounds you.

Ask yourself, how can you thrive this season versus simply surviving it?

Lucky for you, here are some ideas on how to spice up the season:

1. Pumpkin pancakes. 
  2. Warm sweaters and turtlenecks ( Zara’s got game)
  3. The switch to warm coffees and hot drinks (Winner: Pumpkin Spice Latte from Caffe Nero)
  4. The colors brown, black and tan 
  5. Boots with warm socks (Frye, Steve Madden, Freebird)
  6. Carving pumpkins & going to pumpkin patches
  7. Sweet treats and candy (Best candy: Snickers. Honorable mention: Reese’s Pieces)
  8. Blankets, blankets, blankets 
  9. Slow country music (for those who listen…)
  10. Pumpkin spice anything 
  11. Halloween Movies & TV (Don’t forget the beloved Good Luck Charlie Halloween episodes)
  12. Red, orange, and yellow leaves everywhere
Michelle Sylvester

Northeastern '25

Michelle Sylvester is a third year communications and media studies major minoring in psychology. She loves to do her work in coffee shops around Boston, create social media content, journal, watch sunsets, work out, and sing.