Disney Channel Movies to Get You in the Mood for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. No, I’m not talking about Christmas; it’s almost Halloween! While not so much a part of my life anymore—especially in the midst of a pandemic—Halloween has always held a special place in my heart. Whether that be from the numerous toothaches from dozens of candies or the sheer joy of dressing up without people shaming you, there’s no better holiday. What’s better than either of these things, and quite possibly the only reason why I still have cable television, are Halloween movies. More specifically, Disney Channel Halloween movies.

If you’re a “Zoomer” like me (i.e. born in the late 1990s/early 2000s), you might’ve grown up watching Disney Channel and Nickelodeon on an alternate basis. One of the most nostalgic parts of my childhood involved DCOMs (Disney Channel Original Movies). I remember owning multiple products related to The Cheetah Girls, High School Musical, and even Camp Rock. But some of the most iconic movies from this channel were the Halloween ones. In case you haven’t heard of the cultural phenomena known as “Halloweentown”, then get ready for this list of Halloween DCOMs to prepare you for the fright nights.

Smart House

Okay, I know this isn’t ~technically~ a Halloween movie, but as a mere eight year old, nothing was scarier than my own automated house turning against me. Before Alexa or Google Home, there was Smart House— or really, Pat. The 1999 movie follows a family who wins a fully-automated dream house in a competition. However, the computer slowly starts to take over the house and everything gets out of control.

Hocus Pocus

Fun fact: Hocus Pocus was originally written as a DCOM. This classic Halloween flick follows three teens from Salem, Massachusetts who accidentally resurrect the Sanderson sisters, three witches who were executed 300 years ago for practicing dark magic. The spooky and nostalgic vibes are to die for.

Twitches and Twitches Too

I’m combining these two together because I honestly forgot what the difference in plots was. Regardless, the Twitches series involves reunited twin sisters who find out they’re witches and, in turn, must save their magic kingdom. If you’re a fan of Sister, Sister with Tia and Tamera Mowry, you’ll be a fan of this one, too.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Anyone who argues that this is a Christmas movie can fight me. This movie mashes the two most exciting holidays of the year in a Tim Burton masterpiece. Jack Skellington is the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, but when he leaves the town and discovers a whole new world where it’s Christmas every day, Jack tries to bring the spirit back home.

Return to Halloweentown

To be fair, Return to Halloweentown is much different than its predecessors. In addition to a new lead actress (although she plays the same main character), the movie follows budding witch, Marnie, as she embarks on adventures at Witch University. I remember watching this movie every time it was on TV.

Halloweentown

Ah, a classic. You can’t bring up DCOMs, let alone Halloween DCOMs, without mentioning Halloweentown. Here, Marnie and her siblings follow their grandmother (played by the effervescent Debbie Reynolds) to a spooky city named Halloweentown.

Sreya is a third-year combined computer science and business major. Prior to being Campus Correspondent/Editor in Chief from 2020-2021, she was an editor for Northeastern's chapter. Besides being part of Her Campus, she's also in HackBeanpot and Scout. She spends most of her free time watching cringy reality shows, scrolling through Twitter, and going to concerts.