Delta Phi Epsilon in the Spotlight: Jen Caruso

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name:     

Jen Caruso

Year in school:    

3rd year/Middler

Major:

Health Science/Pre-Physician Assistant

Hometown:

Lynnfield, Massachusetts

When did you join Delta Phi Epsilon?

I joined Delta Phi Epsilon in the Fall of 2015.

Why did you join Delta Phi Epsilon?

I entered Northeastern as a second-year transfer student. I have always been a shy and introverted person, which made it harder for me to meet others and really put myself out there. I decided to step out of my comfort zone and go through Fall recruitment, which ended up being the best decision I’ve ever made. I joined DPhiE because of the amazing and inspirational people who create such a strong sisterhood and give so much meaning and heart to the chapter. I have been in the chapter for a year and a half now, and within this short amount of time, I have experienced so much personal growth. I have learned so much about my sisters and myself, and I wouldn’t have the strength and confidence that I do today if it wasn’t for my sisters of DPhiE. My sisters provide me with continuous support and inspiration to be the best that I can be. I will forever be grateful for joining this chapter; it truly has changed my life in the most positive way.

What else are you involved in on campus?

I am Vice President of Northeastern’s Love Your Melon Campus crew, a member of Colleges Against Cancer, Northeastern’s Pre-Physician Assistant Society, a member of Project Heal: The Boston Chapter.

Have you been on any co-ops? If so, where?

Yes! I just completed my first co-op cycle this past fall. My co-op was a little different than most. I started my first three months of my co-op working as a medical assistant at New England Hematology/Oncology Associates, a private practice at Newton-Wellesley Hospital. In October, NEHO became part of the hospital and unfortunately, they could not renew my contract for co-op during the transition. For the last half of my co-op, I worked as a medical assistant at Newton-Wellesley Orthopedic Associates. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to work in two different fields for one co-op. It was an incredible learning experience.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Northeastern?

My favorite class I’ve taken at Northeastern is Anatomy and Physiology, along the with the lab for A&P.

What advice would you give to younger girls who are considering coming to Northeastern and joining Greek life?

The advice I would give to younger girls who are considering coming to Northeastern and joining Greek Life would be to absolutely go for it. Northeastern is such a large school with endless opportunities, clubs, events, organizations, etc. and it’s easy to find yourself lost and unsure of what direction to take. Joining Greek life helps to make the school a little smaller and clears the pathways for individuals to find what they are passionate about. The Panhellenic community is filled with strong, motivated, intelligent, and inspiring women who work to build each other up and create an incredible support system. I would tell younger girls who are considering going through recruitment to be themselves and embrace every quality that makes you, you. Like every chapter is unique, every individual is unique, and it is the diversity that makes the community so successful. Because we are all different, we can learn from one another. We are also here to lend a hand when needed and to lift each other’s spirits. I would encourage younger girls to step out of their comfort zones and join Greek life because they will be provided with the opportunity to learn, connect with other members, and grow to be the best version of themselves.

Positions I’ve held in the chapter:

– I was a representative for Delta Phi Epsilon for the Student Government Association.

-This past fall and this summer I have co-chaired the position of Coordinator of Philanthropy for ANAD (The National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders).