De-stress with… Chocolate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As finals week commences, too much time spent in Snell Library can make even the most studious girl a little crazed.  While some of my friends prefer to hit the gym to de-stress during finals week, I prefer to indulge in chocolate to take my mind off the fact my paper won’t write itself.  Here are some ways to get your chocolate fix in Boston-and a few of them even incorporate physical activity. (See, we don’t have to feel SO bad about skipping out on Marino.)

Max Brenner
Max Brenner, known as the Bald Chocolate Man, just opened his newest restaurant (named after himself) on Boylston Street.  While Max Brenner offers “real” food, skip it and head straight for dessert.  The chocolate café is the closest thing Boston has to a Willy Wonka paradise.  Typical options like pearl sugar waffles and crepes sit beside chocolate pizza, chocolate eggrolls and churros fondue. Of course, ice cream is offered in a variety of sundaes. In the gift shop, plastic syringes filled with liquid chocolate are sold.  In case you are looking for something a little stronger, Max Brenner offers chocolate themed cocktails at the bar.  But, if studying must continue after your visit, try one of the restaurant’s milkshakes or hot chocolates.  Max Brenner is open until 1 am, so chocoholics can unite late into the night.  

Max Brenner, 745 Boylston Street, Boston. 617-274-1741

Boston Chocolate Walking Tours

Though you’ve walked down Newbury Street on the hunt for the perfect dress or lunch spot, you may not have spent the day walking from chocolate shop to chocolate shop.    Boston Chocolate Walking Tours offers guided walking tours of Boston’s chocolate shops, bakeries, and cafes.  Their mission is “Uplift Through Chocolate” and who doesn’t need an uplift during finals time? Boston Chocolate Walking Tours offers a Newbury Street tour as well as a new tour of the Taza chocolate factory and EH Chocolatier in Somerville.  
To find available tour times or to make a reservation, call or visit their website.

Boston Chocolate Walking Tours, 617-955-2228. http://www.bostonchocolatewalkingtours.com/.  

Boston Chocolate Tours
Not to be confused with Boston Chocolate Walking Tours, Boston Chocolate Tours is a separate company that offers chocolate tours. Their options are vaster and include tour options in Harvard Square, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Faneuil Hall/North End, South End, and a Dessert, Chocolate and Wine Night Tour.  The tour isn’t just about chocolate, it also includes historical and architectural information, but don’t fret-you definitely get some samples with the tour.  

Boston Chocolate Tours, 781-784-7469. http://www.bostonchocolatetours.com

LA Burdick’s
The 7 kinds of hot chocolate at LA Burdick’s will put the others you’ve had to shame.  Though it is almost May, the rainy and cold weather doesn’t accurately reflect that, so hot chocolate is still an appropriate drink for final’s time.  In desperate need of a bigger caffeine fix?  Try their Mocha-1/2 cup dark chocolate and 1/2 cup milk chocolate mixed with steamed milk and poured into a double shot of espresso, finished with a foam and grated spice ball.You can also pick up some chocolates to go along with chocolate (and non-chocolate) cakes, croissants and tartes.

LA Burdick, 52 Brattle Street, Harvard Square. 617-491-4340

Chocolee Chocolates
For a more personal chocolate experience, Chocolee Chocolates in the South End offers chocolate making classes.  In the class, students learn to make barks, truffles and filles chocolates.  A three hour class with materials is $80.00, but after working so hard all semester, don’t we all deserve three hours to learn this important life skill?  You will leave with a box of chocolate as well as chocolate self-sufficiency. If you want to skip the classes, Chocolee sells truffles and candies at the store-but you won’t be able to tell your friends you made them.  

Chocolee Chocolates, 23 Dartmouth Street, Boston. 617-236-0606. http://chocoleechocolates.com