A Collegiette’s Guide To Making St. Patrick’s Day Drinks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Spring break may be over, but have no fear. The next best thing has almost arrived. While many people simply view St. Patrick’s Day as a national holiday, those in Boston take on a different perspective. For us, St. Patrick’s Day is what we’ve been planning for weeks and training for months. Especially for those of us in college, St. Patrick’s Day is a marathon day that involves wearing shamrock hats and “Kiss Me, I’m Irish” shirts, all while drinking out of four-leaf clover covered cups. But what will you be drinking this year? The internet may contain an infinite amount of suggested drink recipes for St. Patrick’s Day, but below I’m going to highlight the most delicious and delectable recipes you should know about.

1.     Green Dublin Apple Cocktail – Classy and sophisticated, this cocktail exudes the Irish spirit with its green color and whiskey flavoring. Combining Irish whiskey, apple schnapps, and cranberry juice, this stylish drink is perfect if you’re looking to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a lighter drink than the traditional beer.

[pagebreak]

2.     Irish Car Bomb – Perhaps the most famous of the St. Patrick’s Day drinks, consuming an Irish Car Bomb (or several) is a long-standing tradition that everyone should try once. Drop a shot glass full of Jameson Whiskey Bailey’s Irish Cream into a glass of Guinness, chug, and let the celebrations begin. While this drink has been known to get messy, it’s still a great drink for loud and exciting parties.

[pagebreak]

3. Green Beer – Easily the cheapest St. Patrick’s Day drink ever invented, Green Beer is exactly what it sounds like: beer that’s green. Take any of your favorite beers (preferably an Irish brand), add a few drops of green coloring dye, and your festive drink is ready to be consumed. Warning: if you spill this beer on you, the green dye WILL stain your skin for a few days (speaking from personal experience).

[pagebreak]

4.     Bailey’s Mudslide – Looking for a drink that can also double as dessert? This recipe may be for you. This alcoholic milkshake contains Bailey’s Irish Cream, vodka, and Godiva Chocolate Liqueur; a supreme end to a celebratory day. Also, this drink contains chocolate. CHOCOLATE. I think I’ve said all I need to say here.

[pagebreak]

5. Spicy Apple Green Juice – Don’t want to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with an alcoholic beverage? By far the healthiest recipe on this list, the Spicy Apple Green Juice is a delicious drink that infuses fruit and vegetables, such as cucumbers and green apples. Additionally, this bright green drink is a fun beverage for kids to also drink.

[pagebreak]

6. Shamrock Shake Up – A refreshing and sweet drink, the Shamrock Shake Up contains Absolut, simple syrup, lime juice, club soda, and lime juice. Very similar to a mojito, the green mint leaves you’ll adorn this drink with will be a small, yet simple way to keep in the holiday spirit.

[pagebreak]

7. Sparkling Green Sangria – For the wine lover in all of us, here is a drink that you and your friends can enjoy sipping on for hours. This recipe uses the standard ingredients found in Sangria: wine, triple sec, club soda, and an assortment of sliced fruit. A drink made to be shared, this is an excellent choice to be served at a low-key party.

[pagebreak]

8. Green Iced Tea – If you’re looking for a more healthy drink than those previously listed, look no further. Combining ginger lemon tea, cucumber juice, tequila, and lemon juice, will leave you refreshed and yearning for warmer weather.

[pagebreak]

9. Shamrock Juice – Creative, fun to make, and non-alcoholic, this is another great drink to make for parties where the underaged will be present. This recipe calls for pineapple juice, sparkling lemonade, sparkling white grape juice, lime popsicles, and a green apple for decoration. A refreshing and fruity mixture, as the pieces of lime popsicle melt in your drink, the color will turn more and more green, making you the best hostess ever.

[pagebreak]

10. Sparkling Clover Charm – A mouth-watering drink, this recipe looks the part of a St. Patrick’s Day recipe, but has a surprising taste. Comprised of mango vodka, champagne, and melon liqueur, this bubbly drink will make you feel like you’re on a island getaway, no matter where you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day.

[pagebreak]

11. Non-Alcoholic St. Patty’s Punch – Lastly, this is the ultimate non-alcoholic, St. Patrick’s Day party recipe that doubles as a drink and a dessert. A mixture of ginger ale, pineapple juice, and lime sherbet, this delightfully green drink is sure to leave a lasting impression on your taste buds and become an instant party favorite.

Rose Harvey

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!