This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

1) What do you do at your coop/what is the company’s purpose?

“VMware is a software company based out of Palo Alto, California. We focus on virtualization software but also have hybrid cloud and end user computing software as well. For being a global company, it has a start-up tech feel which is fun. I am currently on the Global Employee Communications team which works to create channels for information within the business units. I help support the various units through team meetings, content development, and other things.”

2) Any advice for students hoping to do a tech-related co-op?

“While you don’t need to be an expert in that particular field, it certainly helps to have a basic understanding of the technology that your company sells and how that helps the customers. In my particular role, I am not dealing with external communications, but it is very helpful to understand the products at a high level to help with my internal communication efforts.”

3) How does the atmosphere of this company compare to your first co-op for a cloud service provider?

“Eze Castle Integration, my previous co-op, was a service provider for hedge funds, so it had a much more corporate feel than my current job. For both of my co-ops, I have been at the company headquarters, but the vibe here is much more relaxed than back in Boston. I think it has to do more with the customer base than the location necessarily but they are definitely different environments.”

4) What is your favorite part of your day at co-op?

“I really enjoy working with my team and the flexibility that this office provides. This is a dog-friendly office (yes, I play with puppies when I come to work), and that makes this a fun place to be. There are many conference rooms, booths, and tables for people to work at and the change of pace from being at a desk is a good way to stay creative.”

5) What are the top 3 things on your bucket list while you live in Cali?

1. Visit Disneyland

2. Visit Alcatraz

3. Hike through the Redwood Forest

6) Did you have any culture shock going from the East Coast to the West Coast?

“From day one it has been very different. The roads, the people, the stores; everything is very different. My friends will laugh at me but I have noticed a lack of Buffalo Chicken foods while on this coast. It also has rained a lot more than I anticipated (thanks El Niño), but overall it’s been a good experience!”

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (:
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!