Life > Experiences

Chill Vibes Only : Making The Most Of Your Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Nothing is better than the weight that comes off your shoulders once finals season is over and winter break starts! No more endless studying sessions, grueling exams or draining research papers. The semester’s over, and you can mentally prepare for what next semester brings. However, it can be difficult figuring out what to do over winter break. You may find yourself in the same situation that I do. It’s vacation; I want to relax and do nothing, but I want to make the most of my days by filling them with fun things. That’s why I have devised a list of things that are fun and productive while remaining relaxing and chill. 

Watch some Holiday Themed Movies

For me, it’s harder to enjoy a good movie every now and then during the semester because I’m so busy and stressed. However, once winter break starts, nothing’s better than turning on a good holiday movie! Some of my favorite Christmas movies growing up were “Elf,” “The Polar Express,“A Christmas Story” and more. If you’re not in the mood for a nostalgic movie night, there are many Christmas horror movies out there as well!  Some that I really like are, “Krampus,” “Black Christmas,” and “Better Watch Out.” Lastly, if you don’t celebrate Christmas but still want to watch a winter-themed movie, some other options are, “The Day After Tomorrow,”  “Winter’s Bone,and “Crimson Peak. 

Ice Skating 

You don’t have to be good at ice skating in order to enjoy it! I’m awful at ice skating, but it’s still a fun activity! I’m from Minnesota, and as a kid, I used to go ice skating all the time. The lakes would freeze over, and I would ice skate with some of my friends. Ice skating is such a fun winter activity, and being active will keep you warm amidst the cold weather. There are many different places to ice skate in Boston. If you won’t be here over winter break, a quick Google search should be able to recommend an ice skating rink near you!

Find a Good Book

Sometimes it’s too cold to go out and all you want to do is stay inside and bundle up under the covers. Winter is a perfect time to get engrossed in a good book. Personally, it’s been a while since I’ve been able to read a really good one, and I’ll definitely take advantage of winter break to find some good reads! 

Some books that I’ve enjoyed in the past include, “A Northern Light” and “These Shallow Graves,” both by Jennifer Connelly; “The Bookwoman of Troublesome Creek,” by Kim Michelle Richardson; “In Cold Blood,” by Truman Capote; “Ordinary Grace,” and “Lightning Strike,” both by William Kent Kreuger. 

Bake Holiday Treats 

Wintertime is also an ideal season to get into baking and make some yummy treats. You can always go with the classic: chocolate chip cookies. Or, you can delve into the holiday spirit with peppermint bark or gingerbread houses! If you’re looking for some more ideas, (or if you want to put your baking skills to the test), CountryLiving has this amazing list of 90 holiday treats that are easy to make! 

Go To A Winter Market 

Winter markets are such a good way to get into the holiday spirit! Think of a farmer’s market but with a bunch of warm lights and beautiful wreaths. Winter markets are filled with cute kiosks and food stands, and it’s a great way to support small businesses while sipping delicious hot chocolate!

Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)