Chelsea in the City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Co-op is a Northeastern tradition that everyone participates in at least once. Several of us collegiettes choose to stay in Boston, while some of us brave souls ventured out into unseen territory. I was one of the crazy people who decided to do a co-op completely outside of my comfort zone, and will be spending six months of my life living in New York City. I always planned to do a co-op here, but now that it’s a reality I am still pinching myself–but I am not alone! There are hundreds of other Northeastern students co-oping all around the world, and we need some loving too!

I was lucky enough to travel here with my roommate who I’ve lived with since freshman year, and I was comforted knowing that I wouldn’t be completely alone, but living in the Big Apple, I want to make new friends too! Now that I have been here for a month I have learned some tips to making new friends in a new city.

1.     Let Northeastern help you out
When moving to a different city, Northeastern will help you get in contact with other students who are headed to the same place. Before the semester ends there will be a going away party for everyone where you can get to
know your fellow travelers. GO! It’s a great way to meet people and find out where everyone is living. In NYC there are two places you can live through Northeastern, but you can also choose to rent on your own. This can also be a great place to find potential roommates and friends once you’ve left campus. Throughout the co-op term, Northeastern will also host activities that give all the Huskies in your city a chance to meet up.

2.     Social Media Stalk
Now stalking may have a bad rep, but come on we all do it! It’s one of the best ways to get to know someone quickly and efficiently. We only have 6 months here so we have to move fast! Northeastern will help this process along by starting an email thread where everyone can post their information and you can then proceed to look them up and message them on Facebook. Another option is creating a Facebook group for the city you’re going to. NYC has one and people have been posting fun things to do around the city and anyone is welcome to join.  I started Facebook chatting and texting someone I met through the thread who lives in my building, and we’ve become good friends!

3.     Don’t be afraid to say yes
It seems obvious that to make friends in a new place you have to take a chance, but it’s scary!
I don’t really go out much and can kind of be a homebody, but when I was asked to go out in the city with other Northeastern students I said yes. Why not? What did I have to lose? The only way I was going to meet people was to say yes and not sit in my room all day skyping my friends back in Boston. I ended up having a great night and have hung out with some cool people. The only way to build relationships is to just go for it, and you can’t do that sitting in bed. In other words–YOLO!

4.     Make a bucket list
I have a huge list of things that I want to accomplish while I’m here such as go to a Broadway show and visit the Empire State Building, but I don’t want to do those alone. Take advantage of social media and invite others to join. Simple touristy things are on everyone’s to do list, and someone will definitely want to come along.

5.     Say hello
I live in a building with students from several schools around the city. Even though I am only here for a short period of time, there is no harm in saying hello to neighbors and making friends here. I have introduced myself in the elevator, in the hallway and in the communal kitchen. One of my fellow NU friends here has done the same and gotten really great tips of things to do here on the weekends. Even if you don’t live in Northeastern housing and live in an apartment, you can always introduce yourself to neighbors. If you live at home, say hello on your lunch break. Meeting people at work is a great way to network and make friends.

6.     Do some research
Wherever you may be living everything is new and exciting. So research some fun things to do that you may not be able to do anywhere else. Check to see if your favorite band is coming or a good comedian.  I have spent insane amounts of time on Google and ticketmaster.com looking for things to do. By doing something you enjoy in a new city, you may be able to meet others who are interested in the same things.

Wherever you may be there are always new people to meet and new friends to be had. Take advantage of this new opportunity to not only gain work experience, but also build new friendships. Good luck and have fun!

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.