Off-Campus Activities Around Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

When I was 12 years old, my best friend and I would sing horrendously butchered versions of show tunes every time we hung out. All we wanted was to see Wicked on Broadway.  Unfortunately, that was around the time Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth starred in it, so tickets were incredibly expensive and our parents practically choked at the idea of allowing us to go.

I never would have thought that as a college kid on a budget I would have the opportunity to see the musical that I once wanted to see more than anything else in the world. That’s the great thing about going to school in Boston, though: there are cool events everywhere, and often they are available at a student-discounted price. I got to see a famous Broadway play for $25 (crazy right?!) with my roommate through a club she is involved in. The night was great, the musical was amazing, and it was nice to meet new people, plus there was barely a dent in my wallet.

So my advice to all other incoming freshmen–and anyone else who wants to take it–is to get involved on campus and keep an eye on the city of Boston. Many clubs have fun outings together just like the one I went on. It is a good way to make friends and get out in the city on a school night. Many museums and other places in the city also offer college discounts or college nights. Here are a few examples:

• The famous New England Aquarium has a discount for its aquarium and IMAX Theater if you show your ID.
  • The Museum of Fine Arts is always free with your Student ID. You won’t get discounts as good as those again until you are at least 65, so keep them in mind.
  • The Institute of Contemporary Art is free on Thursday nights from 5-9pm.
  • History buffs and political science majors can tour the State House or climb to the top of the Bunker Hill Monument for free.
  • Tour the Samuel Adams Brewery and see how to brew beers, taste malts for free, and sample classic beer. You don’t have to be 21 to tour, but you must be 21 to sample! More of a wine junkie? Attend wine tastings at Coolidge Corner from 6-8 PM on Thursday and Friday and on Saturday from 4-7 PM.
  • The Colt Observatory at BU has Public Open Nights on Wednesdays after 7:30 PM, where you can look at the night sky for free.
  • Chipotle sponsors Bruins Student Nights at TD Garden. Students can buy discounted tickets and get a free burrito at a local Chipotle afterwards.
  • Boston Ballet has student tickets available for specific shows for $20-$30. Be sure to check out their website to see which ones are available.
  • The Boston Symphony Orchestra also has student tickets available for certain shows for only $20.

Boston is your playground collegiettes, so get out there and explore what it has to offer.  

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (:
Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!