Bob Saget Packed a ‘Full House’ in Newly-Renovated Blackman Auditorium

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We’ve all been there: Members of the audience sitting and fidgeting for hours at a time in the uncomfortable – often broken and ripped – chairs. Laughing at comedians until our stomachs hurt, as the squeakiness of the old chairs is drowned out by the crowd’s amusement.

But we no longer have to suffer.

The newly renovated Blackman Auditorium in Ell Hall was introduced and celebrated with the Kappa Sigma Fraternity’s Ninth Annual Comedy Night featuring Bob Saget. Even Saget, a comedian known for his former roles in the ’90s on Full House and America’s Funniest Home Videos, said he recognized the venue’s fresh new look, which is a positive upgrade since his last visit to campus.

“It’s beautiful back there,” Saget said about the backstage appearance during the Sept. 18 show.

The newness is instantly recognizable upon opening either set of the double black doors as a new-car-scent wafts from all sides of the auditorium. Sleek, wood floors separate sections of the audience, both on the lower floor and upper balcony. Each spacious (and comfy!) chair has a spotless red cushion and smooth light-colored wood backing. And soft brown rugs lay underneath each row of chairs. The walls are now shiny and waxed wood panels, replacing the dull and scratchy material of the former auditorium walls.

As the night’s headliner, Saget opened his hour-long standup routine by commenting on the ridiculous irony of his role as the squeaky-clean Danny Tanner in the family-friendly and beloved Full House TV show, which many members of the audience nostalgically cheered for. And of course, he didn’t fail to hum the theme song, “Everywhere You Look,” several times throughout the night.

At times, Saget’s stream-of-consciousness, comments and gestures might have been slightly uncomfortable for us listen to and watch because they were so out of character for our beloved, Full House neat-freak Tanner father. He often interacted with the audience, choosing the same three kids to target as victims of his dirty jokes during the show. He even played his guitar and serenaded us, not forgetting the oh-so-vulgar humor he’s branded himself with, and repeatedly told his neighbor on Full House, Kimmy Gibler, to sit still backstage, where he had her “tied up.”

But there was definitely no shortage of laughter. The audience’s cheering and applause showed an overall approval of Saget, who tweeted after the show that he “loved playing Northeastern.”
* Follow him @bobsaget
*

Comedian Joe Wong performed before Saget as the first act of the night. His shy, quiet facade and heavy Chinese accent made the audience laugh with surprise at his ridiculously hilarious jokes about his every day life. In Joe’s case, delivery was everything. He’s made multiple appearances on the David Letterman and Ellen DeGeneres shows and has also headlined the Radio and TV Correspondents’ Dinner, where he roasted Vice President Joe Biden.

By the end of the night, it was clear Blackman endured a timely transformation indeed. Bob Saget had been in the out-dated auditorium. Donald Glover, Lisa Lampanelli, Steve-O, Patton Oswalt, Nick Swardson, B.J. Novak, Spike Lee, Seth Meyers, Vanilla Ice, and Jim Gaffigan were several other guests who had also been there. Parents paying high tuition fees had been there. Blackman hosts various types of events, including classes, lectures, movies, musical groups, and orchestral ensembles. It was time for an update.

Other changes and additions are apparent on campus, including Subway’s replacement of the Mondo Sub Shop in Ryder Hall and an expanded Rebecca’s Café in Churchill Hall.
I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.