Biking in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

While Boston is fortunate enough to have a great public transportation system, there are some days collegiettes™ just can’t afford to get stuck on the green line for 20 minutes underground.

It’s no secret the MBTA has its delays (especially when it’s raining), and there are co-ops to get to, friends to meet and things to do!

Which is why I suggest getting around the city another way: by bike.

I got a bike at the beginning of September, after I established a work schedule that would have me working mornings at an unpaid co-op and afternoons at a part-time job. I thought it would be a convenient way to get from one to the other without the hassle of depending on the MBTA’s mood swings—and I was right.

Why?

Quicker Travel Time
Instead of walking to the T and then waiting for it, riding it a few stations away and walking to another location, I can go door-to-door on my bike. While the trip from my first job to my second takes nearly 40 minutes via the Orange line, it takes roughly 20 minutes when I ride my bike. Rather than wait around for the train to arrive from who-knows-where, biking depends more on when the rider decides to leave for their destination.

Cuts Costs
Bikes can be found for a pretty cheap price, considering a monthly MBTA pass is $59 and gas is always expensive. Target has bikes for as low as $99 and $109 and Walmart has several bikes available to buy under $150 as well as one bike that’s just $89.97.

In just two to three months, your bike can pay for itself.

Environment Friendly
A bike is a much better alternative to a gas-guzzling bus, and even though the MBTA is designed to reduce traffic and air pollution, the subway still causes more damage to the environment than any bike ever could.

Extra Exercise
Not only do you get to spend a good amount of time outdoors, biking is also a workout in itself. According to EverydayHealth.com, a 130-lb person who bikes at a speed of 10-12 mph for 20 minutes a day burns 118 calories, while a person the same weight who walks for the same amount of time only burns 59 calories.

Sure, riding in the rain isn’t always fun. And once in awhile, I get a little sweaty before arriving to my co-op office, but the reasons above definitely make cycling so worth it.

Before you run off to buy a bike, there are some things you should consider:

Safety First
You need a helmet! Don’t risk your life riding in Boston without a helmet. Even if you’re just riding from your apartment on Mission Hill to your music class in Ryder, it’s still important to protect yourself.

Watch Out for Theft
Chain and cable locks can be easily cut or tampered with, so a U-lock is your best bet to keep your bike safe from theft. U-locks are made of steel and provide the best security for your bike when used properly. They can be a bit pricey—costing around $30, but well worth it when you can continue to use your bike day after day.

Storage–in a Safe Place
Even if you have a U-lock, thieves can still try to mess with your bike. Whether they try to detach the chain or wheel, it can be very upsetting to wake up and realize your bike is not ride-able. To prevent an unpleasant surprise like this, try to make sure you can keep your bike either in your building, apartment or dorm room overnight. You never know what could happen—it’s better to be safe than sorry!

If you aren’t looking to purchase your own bike but want to take a ride or two around the city, be sure to check out Hubway, an affordable bike sharing system that began in Boston this past July and has grown ever since. With more than 600 bicycles located at 61 stations throughout Boston, individuals can rent bikes 24/7. Whether you want to become a member or just be a causal rider, Hubway is a great way to get your cycling fix in while running errands or exploring Boston. Check out their website for more information.

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.