Red Velvet Cupcakes
Red Velvet Cupcakes
Alex Frank / Spoon

Best of Oakleaf: A Boston Treat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you are a foodie like me, this is the article for you! Today I will be ranking Oakleaf Cakes Bake Shop’s top pastries and drinks, and trust me, I’m an expert! One day, I was walking to get my groceries at Whole Foods, and the vegan pastries sign caught my eye. I am allergic to dairy, but I love sweets. So whenever I see vegan pastries, it’s an immediate must have! Usually I am disappointed, but I can assure you I have never been disappointed at Oakleaf. Over the course of my past year here in Boston, I can safely say that I have tried almost all of their vegan items. Now, onto the rankings!

Best Cupcake: Vanilla With Strawberry Buttercream

Oakleaf has many varieties of cupcakes, and I’d have to say this is my favorite. I absolutely love the sweet vanilla cake with a fruit flavored buttercream. It is the perfect not too sweet cupcake and great for a warm spring day! 

Best Pop Tart: Crème Brûlée Pop Tart

I absolutely love their pop tarts for so many reasons. When was the last time you had a poptart besides the brown sugar kind we all ate as kids? Never mind a gourmet pop tart. The filling is what makes this pop tart so delicious. It’s a sweet coconut vanilla bean creme. The top is  crisp torched sugar which gives the poptart a satisfying crunch. They have so many options to choose from including delicious wildberry or cookie butter. These aren’t even close to all the different varieties they have.

Best Cookie: Triple Chocolate Vegan Cookie

I tried this one last week. Once I started eating the cookie, I could not put it down. If you’re a chocolate lover like myself, this is the perfect cookie for you. With a rich chocolate base and plenty of chocolate chips, the cookie is crisp when bitten into but somehow melts in your mouth?!? YUM.

Best Muffin: Coffee Chip Muffin

Ok guys… Seriously, this almost won best over all. This muffin is delicious. Put it in the microwave for fifteen seconds and – perfection. It is a chocolate chip muffin base with a hint of coffee. But wait, the best part is the coffee glaze spread on top. It is so sweet along with the melted chocolate chips in the muffin. For all my mocha lovers out there, this ones for you!

Best Overall: Sticky Bun

This is my go to. Everyone has always asked Oakleaf when this will be back and let me tell you guys…IT’S BACK!! At first, I stayed away from this pastry. I did not want the pecans on top. I do not like pecans, and generally, I do not want nuts mixed into my desserts. Well, I was a fool. It is the best pastry ever. The nuts are carmelized so beautifully they don’t taste like pecans at all And the sweet brown sugar caramel swirls? Perfection. 

Best Iced Beverage: Matcha

The matcha is one of their newer drinks, and so far, it has been a hit! I get mine with almond milk, and I also add the simple syrup to make it sweeter which they conveniently keep on the self service counter. They also have plenty of flavored syrups if you’re looking to try a lavender, vanilla or strawberry matcha latte! Oakleaf started doing a drink of the month as well. For February, it was the Sweetheart Soda inspired by Valentine’s day. Everyone should head over there to see what the drink is for March!

Bonus Iced Beverage: Iced Green Tea Lemonade With a Splash of Black Raspberry Syrup

This drink is not on the menu but rather something I have created myself. Order a green tea lemonade then choose from their hefty selection of syrups. You could add raspberry, strawberry, lavender or even cucumber.  I personally like the raspberry or black raspberry syrup. This drink is perfect for summer time.

Best Hot Beverage: London Fog

Last but not least is the London fog. I love this drink, and again, I get steamed almond milk in mine. The London fog is their dutchess gray tea freshly brewed with vanilla and milk of your choice. This is the perfect drink for a cold day here in Boston, and it has a wonderful balance of tea and sweetness. Also, Oakleaf has gourmet hot chocolates including salted caramel, peanut butter, aztec and peppermint. 

Remember, all of the items I listed above are vegan, but they also have plenty of non-vegan items too. My roommate always comes with me, and her favorite nonvegan pastry is the cinnamon roll pop tart or the nutella pop tart. If you are ever craving something sweet, you know where to go! Oakleaf is only about a ten minute walk from Northeastern’s Boston campus, and I hope to hear about some of your favorite pastries soon!

Madison LaMachia

Northeastern '25

Maddy is a second year at Northeastern University studying Business Administration and Communications with a concentration in Marketing. She likes bubble tea, traveling, and trying new foods.