Battling Facebook: How to Stay Off of Facebook During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Finals are coming up, which means extended hours at Snell, lots of coffee, all-nighters, and…. Facebook? It’s the ultimate procrastination tool, and, if you’re like most of us, you’ll probably spend more time stalking your old neighbor than studying derivatives. Here are some tips to help you stay off Facebook and maximize your study time:

Have your friend change your password

If you like studying with friends: Grab a friend who’s good at focusing, and change each other’s passwords without revealing the new passwords! The two of you can motivate each other to stay on track. When you are both done, you can exchange passwords again.

If you can’t study with friends: Ask a trusted friend to change your password without telling, and give them a designated time to give it back. No matter how much you want it, they cannot give it back to you until that time. Just make sure they write down the new password so you aren’t forever locked out of Facebook!

Try self-control

No you don’t actually need to have it… because there’s an app for that. The Self Control app blocks Facebook or other distracting websites for the amount of time you desire (see http://selfcontrolapp.com).  Also try: http://getcoldturkey.com

Deactivate

It may seem extreme, but it’s quite effective. While you’re studying, you won’t be wondering “who’s writing on my wall while I’m offline?” That’s because no one can. When you reactivate your account everything will be right where you left it, and you’ll realize you didn’t miss anything groundbreaking.

Go to the library

When you’re in the library you’re less apt to want to spend excessive amount of time on Facebook, because you are in a public place and a study environment. You’ll may still be tempted to take a quick peek, but just think what the girl next to you will think when you go into stalker mode.

Get off the computer

In this day and age, most of your work is on the computer. But if you don’t need it, turn it off and open your textbook. It’s probably easier on your eyes to study from a book than a glowing screen and the temptation to creep back online will be gone!

Change your break habits

A common strategy for study breaks is to study for a designated amount of time and then check Facebook. The idea that this works is a myth and, in reality, doesn’t work. Breaks are good… but Facebook just sucks you in and your brain ever get a chance to relax. Next time you take a break. try things like eating a healthy snack, doing stretches or having a mini-dance party. These types of activities will re-energize your body and mind.

Stephanie Cohn

Northeastern

Stephanie is a Sophomore Journalism major at Northeastern University and has been with her campus for about a year now. She spent her first semester abroad in Costa Rica where she discovered her passion for writing through weekly blog assignments. Stephanie is now in the process of pursuing a minor in Latin American studies and hopes that someday to cover the region. Currently she is the Hub Health intern for Boston Magazine and the promotions chair for Hercampus Northeastern. Outside of HerCampus she enjoys healthy baking, yoga, creative writing, and spending time with her Sigma Kappa sorority sisters. 
Shannon Clark

Northeastern

Shannon is a third year communication studies and business student at Northeastern University in Boston, MA. She has always been interested in writing and journalism, and Her Campus seemed like the perfect outlet for that! She has been part of Her Campus Northeastern since her freshman year, and has recently been elected as co-correspondent. She is excited for a great semester!