Advice from a Senior: What No One Told Me When I Was a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.
When I was a freshman living in White Hall, I never thought about the day I’d come to call myself a senior. But, five years later, as I sit in my bedroom in West Village H (you know, the high-rise on Huntington Ave—a huge upgrade from my first-year living accommodations), I’m doing just that.

As much fun as I’ve had over the past five years, I still remember what it was like to be a freshman: scared, friendless and confused as I desperately tried to figure out where I fit in a sea of 15,000 undergrads.

I’ll be honest—I don’t want to go back to being a first-semester freshman. Living in a cement box with a bunk bed and a stranger is nothing I’d want to relive. However, I wouldn’t mind reliving the rest of my college years after that: I’ve managed to have the time of my life.

I hope all present-day freshman, sophomores and underclassmen will be able to look at their years at Northeastern with the same fondness I do, which is why I thought I’d share a few tips of insight that I’ve learned along the way:

Get to know your RAs
Your RAs, while they may seem like the big bad wolf on certain occasions (i.e., when they’re breaking up a party in your dorm), are actually (for the most part) genuinely cool people that will be able to help you through some tough situations—especially if they know who you are. They don’t want to get you in trouble, its just part of their job.

Get their cell phone number in your contacts list, and always remember—they’re students, too! Treat them as friends. That way, they’ll be able to help you if you get yourself locked out of your room at 3am, and they can update you on the latest dorm activities and happenings. If you have an idea for a fun dorm outing, pitch it to them—they’re always looking for new ideas. If you respect them, you’ll not only make their job easier, you’ll also pave the way for smooth(er) sailing through the semester.

Find a club or organization you love
There are at least a hundred different clubs, groups and organizations on campus—from sororities, to cultural groups, to sports teams, to journalistic publications, to community service organizations…and those are just a few of the categories. Not only will you meet people with the same interests as you, you’ll be able to make a difference on campus and build your resume.

Find the one—or several—that you’re passionate about and get as involved as you can. Check out this article by yours truly on a breakdown of some of the coolest clubs and organizations on campus. Also

Take advantage of your college ID

Once you graduate, you will no longer be able to use the countless college ID discounts you have free range of today. The Museum of Fine Arts, Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston Aquarium, Boston Symphony Orchestra, City Sports and the Improv Asylum are just a few of the places in Boston that offer discounts and/or special deals for those presenting a college ID. MBTA passes can also be purchased at a discount with a college ID, so use it while you can!

Get a co-op that counts
Though you may think the most important thing about a co-op is how much you get paid, don’t just go for the job that has the highest salary or offers the coolest rewards. Find the co op you think will fit well with your future aspirations, and one that will give you the most hands-on experience in the field you’re exploring. Though money may help you through that particular semester, a great co-op will help you through life.

Once you get a co-op, keep in touch with your coworkers
The real world, and even the co-op world, is all about networking. Skills can only take you so far, but knowing someone in a certain company or industry will always be an advantage. So don’t lose ties with your past employers: Connect with them on LinkedIn, drop them an email every so often, and be sure to keep them updated on what you are doing with your life and how the skills you learned at their company are helping you be successful today. You never know when you may need a recommendation or a little bit of help.

Study abroad or on a dialogue
I didn’t study abroad until the summer before my senior year, and had I known how fantastic my experience would be, I would have started traveling the summer after freshman year. I ended up going on a journalism dialogue (five week program) with professor Carlene Hempel, traveling to Jordan and Turkey to practice global reporting, and had an incredible, eye-opening experience. I wish I could apply for another journalism dialogue for this upcoming summer, but sadly, I will be graduated already. I am so envious of the several freshman that were on my trip that now know how incredible and exciting dialogues are—and will be able to go on more dialogues and study abroad trips throughout their Northeastern career. So take advantage of these marvelous opportunities, and study abroad as soon (and as often) as you can!

Co-op in a different city and/or place

Yes, Boston is great. But where else do you get the opportunity to live in another city or location for six months, no strings attached. Okay, so there’s study abroad. But you can’t study abroad in New York City. Luckily, there’s co-op.

I co-oped in New York City, and I recommend it to all collegiettes™. Discovering a new city is so exciting and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Northeastern has tons of co-op contacts, not only in New York but in Washington D.C., Baltimore, San Diego and other exciting places. Give yourself an adventure, step out of your comfort zone, and take another city head on.

Play broomball

It sounds silly—and it is. But it’s also SO MUCH FUN. Running around on the ice at Matthew’s Arena, looking ridiculous with a helmet and holding a long, wooden stick with a plastic triangle at the bottom, is exactly the kind of thing you should be doing as an undergrad.

Run along the Charles—and through the city
Get off that treadmill. Sure, Marino is great. BUT running the city is a great way to get exercise and explore the city all at once. If you’re not a runner, jog or speedwalk. The path along the Charles is a beautiful area, plus you’ll really feel like you’re part of the Boston scene among all the dog-walkers, walkers, runners and cyclers.

Explore Fenway/Mission Hill
Even if you’re not 21, there are still plenty of places you can go to dine in these areas—plus, you can check out the scene for when you are able to hand that bouncer your shiny ID that says you’re 21+. Don’t wait until you’re a junior or senior to start heading out to these places!

Go to a Red Sox/Bruins/Celtics/Patriots game
Even if you’re a Yankee fan (as I am), you’re living less than a mile away from Fenway Park. GET TO A GAME! You don’t have to root for Boston. In fact, you can even root against Boston. But Fenway is still a beautiful ballpark, and you should take advantage of your supreme location. You don’t have to root for Boston sports, but you have to admit—most of their games are pretty exciting. So make sure you go see them!

….Of course, there are many other things I wish I could tell you. Like, take advantage of the dining hall (where else will you have all-can-eat options seven days a week?) and the health services center (you can get birth control prescriptions there, ect). But there are so many great things about Northeastern, there are countless things you will discover on your own. Above all, enjoy yourself: Get out into the city and have fun! You don’t want to look back on your undergraduate years as a senior with ANY regrets.

Photos: Northeastern University, Red Sox, International Broomball League

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.