This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Imagine waking up one day and a new little friend pops up on your face, and then another one and another one. The next thing you know there’s a tiny village on your face. Don’t worry, acne is totally normal, and here are some ways to help get rid of it or alleviate the redness and bumps. 

Step 1: Double Cleanse

Double cleansing is a great method to cleanse your face thoroughly because you never know if your pores are fully clean from impurities like dust, sweat or makeup. Getting an oil cleanser is a good place to start. Oil cleansers help break down makeup and clean your pores without drying out the skin. Next, follow up with a water based cleanser. Water based cleansers do not strip the skin of its natural moisture, but instead help get rid of any leftover dirt and sebum that the oil based cleanser didn’t get. 

Step 2: Toner

Using toner preps the skin for serums and moisturizers because it helps balance the pH level of the skin and brings back moisture. It can gently exfoliate the skin and get rid of dead skin cells for a smooth, fresh base. There are many toners out there on the market, so you will want to find the best toner for your skin type. 

Step 3: Vitamin C Serum 

Having acne often means getting acne scars. Trust me, the scars can be worse than the actual pimples themselves. The dark spots acne leaves behind which can take almost forever to fade are insanely challenging. In that case, vitamin C is your best friend. Vitamin C helps reduce hyperpigmentation, swelling and redness from the pimple. It helps brighten the skin tone and improve skin texture making the scars less visible. 

Step 4: Moisturizer 

Whether you have dry, oily or combination skin, moisturizer should be used as the last step of your skincare routine at all times. It helps lock in the moisture from the serums and helps reduce the oil production. If your skin gets too dry, it produces more oil, and that oil will create more sebum and clog your pores. So, it’s important to never leave the skin too dry, even if you have oily skin. 

Step 5: Sunscreen 

If you are going out in the daytime, wearing sunscreen is a must because it helps protect your skin from the harsh UV rays. It helps reduce the redness and dark spots from the scars because the UV rays can actually make them worse by dragging out the fading process of the scars. 

This is a five step, simple skincare routine for acne prone skin. Since the skincare industry is so big, it can be overwhelming to figure out which products to start with or how many steps you should have in your routine. This five step routine is simple, effective and easy to use. Clear skin is on the way!

Vy Tran

Northeastern '26

Vy Tran is a Northeastern Student majoring majoring in Business Administration and Communications with a Public Relations minor. She is the marketing and publicity assistant at HC. Her favorite things are listening to music, trying out new things, and playing tennis.