Boston Ballet in Mikko Nissinen\'s The Nutcracker; photo by Liza Voll, courtesy of Boston Ballet
photo by Liza Voll / Boston Ballet

A Night at ‘The Nutcracker’: Boston Ballet’s First Show of the Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

If you’re looking for a festive night out this holiday season, an exciting option is returning to the Boston scene. Friday night, Boston Ballet opened its doors at the Boston Opera House to honor an age-old tradition. It was opening night for Mikko Nissinen’s “The Nutcracker,” a tremendous two-act ballet with a long history here in the city of Boston. 

Boston Ballet has been performing “The Nutcracker” for over 50 years, and the ballet today is still a great way to celebrate the holidays during a night out on the town. Showings of “The Nutcracker” will continue through December 31 with both day-time and evening performances available.  

The opening night this year was an incredible success. The sold-out performance was filled to the brim with patrons eagerly participating in the festivities. Staff handed out free ornaments while supplies lasted, and countless attendees took pictures to capture the special evening in such a gorgeous venue. All around, the energy was joyful and uplifting. 

The performance itself was enthusiastically received by audience members as well. The dancer’s vibrant facial expressions, an amusing introduction to the Mouse King’s Mice, and a comedically chaotic battle scene were only a few examples of moments that drew laughter from viewers. Nissinen’s production was enthralling and enchanting at every turn. With moving scenes, striking costumes and props (particularly that of the Mouse King and Mother Ginger), and incredibly detailed sets, the story of “The Nutcracker” came to life in an innovative and merry manner. 

The performers and conductor Mischa Santora were met with a well-deserved standing ovation at the end of the show. From the beautiful execution of Tchaikovsky’s music to the sparkly snow cascading down at the end of “Snow Scene,” Boston Ballet’s performance of “The Nutcracker” did not disappoint. Interested in experiencing the magic yourself? Tickets can be purchased on the Boston Ballet website.

Riley Price

Northeastern '25

Riley Price is HCNU's Campus Correspondent and Executive & Editorial Coordinator. She is a third year student at Northeastern University from New Orleans, Louisiana. Outside of Her Campus, she is pursuing a degree in English and possesses a deep love for writing personal memoirs and critical essays. She consistently tackles social justice issues in her work to promote a kinder future. Riley is driven by the importance of ethical storytelling in a world riddled with misinformation and hopes to be a voice that stands out amongst the modern day cacophony.