9 Best Donut Shops in the Greater Boston Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Donuts are literally the best go-to breakfast foods out there. Not only are they relatively cheap, easily accessible, and convenient to carry on the go, they’re just outright delicious. Dunkin’ Donuts may have the most classic ones out there, but it’s time to spice up your donut game at these local shops. Check out these local donut shops for some of the tastiest donuts that you will be craving for every meal!

1. Blackbird Donuts

If you haven’t tried Blackbird Donuts, you’re really missing out. They know how to take donuts to the next level by creating the most fun and interesting flavors which are constantly being added to the menu. Better yet, they are definitely Instagram-worthy! You have the choice between their raised doughnuts and cake doughnuts. I recommend their salted caramel pretzel for the perfect combination of salty and sweet.

2. Kane’s Donuts

Kane’s Donuts started off in 1955 in Saugus, Massachusetts but has thankfully expanded into its Boston location at the Financial District area. They’ve got your classics done to perfection, but they also never fail to amaze with their specialities. It’s not a wonder why they’re so good considering how long they been doing this. If you’re feeling adventurous, try their Maple Bacon, topped with maple syrup glaze and bacon sprinkles.

3. Union Square Donuts

Inside the Boston Public Market, in the Faneuil Hall area, Union Square Donuts serves some of the freshest and greatest donuts daily. They are constantly experimenting to create the newest flavors that customers keep coming back for. They even got some vegan options available. I recommend their Blackberry Basil Lime, a seasonal favorite with a blackberry and basil glaze, infused with coconut milk and a lime drizzle.

4. Flour Bakery + Cafe

Although Flour Bakery + Cafe is not dedicated to making only donuts, they do make some super delicious donuts. Sadly, donuts are available only on Sundays so make sure you reserve a Sunday morning to visit either one of the three locations (South End, Seaport District, or Prudential Area). If you become hooked to their donuts, you can even sign up for one of their donut baking classes.

5. Boston Common Coffee Co.

Donuts from Boston Common Coffee Co. will not disappoint. While they are only available on Thursdays, they are not worth missing. Every week there new amazing flavor combinations being made, with results beyond your wildest imaginations. Your choice of cake, vegan, glazed, or filled. Some incredible ones they’ve made include Cosmic Brownie, Maple Blueberry Pancake, and Vegan Avocado Oreo.

6. Red Apple Farm

They may have only one donut flavor to offer, but just this one will be enough for a wonderful experience. These apple cider donuts are made right on the spot, inside the Boston Public Market, from the apples freshly picked at their New England farm. These mini donuts are a dollar each or you can get a dozen for five dollars. The best thing is they serve them year-long so you will never miss them.

7. Twin Donuts

Twin Donuts may not be serving the the most unique donuts in Boston, but they can make the classics pretty well. For the affordable price of 85 cents for a single donut (which FYI is cheaper than Dunkin Donuts), it’s hard not to stock up. Don’t forget to take a photo of your donut outside the store with the iconic Twin Donuts sign. I recommend their simple honey glazed donut.

8. Doughboy Donuts and Deli

Doughboy Donuts and Deli may not just be dedicated to making donuts, but they sure do a great job in making sure they are made to perfection. Luckily they are open 24/7, and make the effort to roll out fresh donuts at any hour, so you can fill your cravings whenever. They are also incredibly affordable so don’t be afraid to try them all. Try their Tie-Dye donuts which exceed in both taste and looks.

9. Mike’s Donuts

Mike’s Donuts may be a small local shop that doesn’t exactly catch the eye, but they are definitely in need of some much deserved attention. They really know how to make the classics, including their signature glazed donut that customers rave about. They’re incredibly cheap for their size, which will sure fill you up in no time.

Amy Tan

Northeastern '22

First Year International Affairs Major