5 Pioneering Black Actors From Old Hollywood That You Should Know About 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

As we celebrate Black History Month, it’s crucial to highlight unknown and overlooked pioneers who broke barriers and paved the way for future Black figures. As a Black person and as a lover of Old Hollywood, I want to introduce five pioneering Black actors from Old Hollywood that left an everlasting mark on the Golden Age of Cinema. 

1. Paul Robeson 

Although Paul Robeson is now celebrated as a trailblazing actor, he initially wanted to become a lawyer, achieving his law degree from Columbia University. Due to the lack of opportunities for Black lawyers at the time, Robeson made his acting debut in the 1920s. Although Robeson did much outside of being an actor (he was a member of the Council on African Affairs, sang in concerts and played football professionally), he also became one of the first Black actors in Hollywood to have substantial film roles. 

Some of my favorite films of his are : “Body and Soul,” 1925; “Show Boat,” 1936 and “Song of Freedom,” 1936. 

1. Sidney Poitier 

As a teenager, Sidney Poitier worked as a dishwasher in New York City and was unable to get roles in the plays he wanted because he was unable to read the script. Then, in 1964, Poitier became the first Black actor ever to win the Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance in, “Lilies of the Field,” 1963. Poitier was known for his portrayals of heroic Black men in films that mostly dealt with racism and race relations.

Some of my favorite films of his are : “Blackboard Jungle,” 1955, “The Defiant Ones,” 1958 and “A Patch of Blue,” 1965.

1. Dorothy Dandridge 

Dorothy Dandridge began her performing career as a teenager by singing in nightclubs during the 1930s and 40s. Although she struggled to get roles in major films, she had her breakthrough as the leading role in the all-black musical film, “Carmen Jones,” 1954. Dandridge became the first Black woman ever to be nominated for an Academy award for Best Actress after her performance in that film. 

Some of my favorite films of hers are : “Bright Road,” 1953, “Carmen Jones,” 1954 and “Porgy and Bess,” 1958. 

1. Louise Beavers 

Many of Louise Beavers’ film roles were stereotypical Black roles, including enslaved people, servants or maids. However, her role in, “Imitation of Life,” 1934 was a great diverge from the stereotypical roles. Her powerful performance of a determined mother in this film was critically acclaimed, and considered to be the most important film role ever to be played by a Black actor in Hollywood at that time. 

Some of my favorite films of hers are : “Imitation of Life,” 1934, “Bullets or Ballots,” 1936 and “Shadow of the Thin Man,” 1941. 

1. Oscar Micheaux 

Oscar Micheaux is considered the first major Black feature filmmaker in Hollywood. Between 1919 and 1948, Micheaux produced more than 40 films. These targeted Black audiences and illustrated racially charged themes such as lynching. During the silent film era, Micheaux helped to create portrayals of Black people that were in sharp contrast to Hollywood’s racist depictions. 

Some of my favorite films of his are: “Within Our Gates,” 1920, “The Exile,” 1931 and “The Girl From Chicago,” 1932.

Although most Black actors from Old Hollywood were unfortunately limited to racist and stereotypical movie roles, it’s crucial to highlight the pioneers who helped pave the way for Black entertainers today. As we honor the legacies and careers of these actors during Black History Month, we should emphasize their courage and ensure that their contributions to the entertainment industry are remembered today and for years to come. 

Grace Ulferts

Northeastern '25

Hello! I'm Grace I am a third-year Behavioral Neuroscience and Philosophy major. I'm originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota. This is my second year being a part of Her Campus, and I absolutely love it! I love to write, and Her Campus is such a warm and welcoming community! :)