barbie and oppenheimer
barbie and oppenheimer
Warner Bros. / Universal Pictures

2024 Oscar Nominees: What the Academy Got Right and Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

By – Yazzy Issa 

The 2024 Oscar Nominees were released last Tuesday. Although there are certain qualities that the academy looks for in films, such as symmetrical shots and dramatic acting, critiquing movies is a relatively subjective process. I also want to provide a disclaimer that the following article contains my personal opinions, which may differ from what other people think. However, this is my perspective on what the academy got right, who was snubbed, in addition to who will win in each major category, while also celebrating historic nominations that broke barriers. Cheers to award season! 

What the academy got right: Right off the bat, I must admit that even though there are always disappointing snubs at the Oscar nomination ceremony, 2023 was an incredible year for film; the Oscar nominations reflected that sentiment. In the Best Actress category, Lily Gladstone, Emma Stone and Sandra Hüller would all be worthy winners in my eyes. In the Best Supporting Actress category, Danielle Brooks, Da’Vine Joy Randolph and Emily Blunt all owned every minute of their screen time in their respective films. Regarding the Best Actor category, Colman Domingo, Paul Giamatti and Cillian Murphy all dominated the movies they starred in. As for the Best Supporting Actor category, I would be lying if I said none of these actors deserved their nominations. Robert De Niro, Robert Downey Jr., Ryan Gosling, Sterling K. Brown and Mark Ruffalo all played their characters to perfection. Lastly, in the Best Picture category, nearly every film blew me out of the water. As I mentioned previously, 2023 was simply an outstanding year for moviegoers and cinephiles. 

Who Was Snubbed: Andrew Scott should have been nominated in the Best Actor category for his role as Adam in “All of Us Strangers.” His performance held the entire movie together and showcased such raw emotion that he brought multiple people in my theater to tears. Also, Charles Melton’s performance as Joe Yoo in “May December’” should have been enough to earn him an Oscar nod in the Best Supporting Actor category. The transition from his days in the CW’s “Riverdale” to his role in “May December” was truly remarkable. Additionally, I have not personally seen “Iron Claw,” but have heard talk of Zac Efron deserving a nomination for his role as Kevin Von Erich. However, the biggest snub of the Oscar nomination announcement was Margot Robbie for her titular role in “Barbie.” This box office hit was 2023’s biggest movie, and Margot played a considerable role in that success. Besides being eligible for the Best Actress category, she was also a producer on the film and essentially made the movie happen. The most disappointing part about this snub was that Ryan Gosling was nominated for his role of Ken, Barbie’s pathetic sidekick, which is pretty ironic considering the movie’s message. Misogyny was the main societal issue addressed, and it feels horribly on-brand that the academy recognized Gosling and not Robbie.  

Who Should Win and Who Will Win?

Best Supporting Actor

Who Should Win: Mark Ruffalo, “Poor Things”

Who Will Win: Robert Downey Jr., “Oppenheimer”

Best Supporting Actress

Who Should Win: Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers” 

Who Will Win: Da’Vine Joy Randolph, “The Holdovers” 

Best Actor 

Who Should Win: Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer” 

Who Will Win: Cillian Murphy, “Oppenheimer” 

Best Actress

Who Should Win: Lily Gladstone, “Killers of the Flower Moon” 

Who Will Win: Emma Stone, “Poor Things” 

Best Original Screenplay

Who Should Win: “Anatomy of a Fall”

Who Will Win: “The Holdovers”

Best Director

Who Should Win: Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer”

Who Will Win: Christopher Nolan, “Oppenheimer”

Best Picture

Who Should Win: “Killers of the Flower Moon” 

Who Will Win: “Oppenheimer” 

Historic Nominations: Lily Gladstone became the first Native American nominated for Best Actress. Her role as Mollie in “Killers of the Flower Moon” was groundbreaking in itself, and reminded audiences of a dark stain on American history and our country’s mistreatment of Native Americans as a whole. Colman Domingo became only the second openly gay man to receive an Oscar nomination for playing a gay character. He played civil rights activist Bayard Rustin in “Rustin” and was nominated in the Best Actor category. Jodie Foster also achieved a historic first for her nomination in the Best Supporting Actress category for “Nyad.” Foster’s nomination combined with Colman’s makes this the first year that two LGBTQ+ actors have been nominated for playing LGBTQ+ characters. Representation does matter! Additionally, Martin Scorsese made history as he earned his 10th Best Director nomination for “Killers of the Flower Moon.” Double digits! What a feat. Scorsese is already one of the world’s most celebrated directors, and this milestone will cement him as one of the greatest directors of all time. He is currently the most decorated director alive, considering his award nods throughout his career. 

Overall, the 2024 Oscar nominations reflect a remarkable year in cinema, acknowledging outstanding performances and diverse storytelling. While the academy rightly recognized talent across various categories, notable snubs and the absence of Margot Robbie’s impactful role in “Barbie” raise questions. The anticipation for the winners is heightened, with fierce competition among deserving nominees. Historic nominations, including Lily Gladstone’s groundbreaking achievement, Colman Domingo’s milestone as the second openly gay man nominated, and Jodie Foster’s historic recognition, underscore the importance of representation in the film industry. As we look forward to the awards ceremony on March 10, the 2024 Oscars celebrate excellence, diversity and historic achievements in the world of cinema. 

Yazzy Issa

Northeastern '24

Yazzy Issa is a fourth year Political Science major at Northeastern with a minor in Psychology. She is also enrolled in Northeastern's Plus One program, working towards a Master’s degree in Political Science with a concentration in Public Policy. She has been interested in politics her entire life, and is very interested in journalism as it pertains to politics as well as current events and pop culture. She is also an avid television and movie watcher! Favorite television shows and movies of hers include Succession, The Other Two, Parasite, Knives Out, and Shiva Baby.