10 Natural Skin Care Remedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

We’ve all dealt with the nightmare of skin problems, and if you’re one of the few who haven’t, consider yourself lucky. For those of us who are not as fortunate, we know just how annoying it is to wake up with a pimple on the morning of a big event or to try and cover up acne scars for months. What might be even more frustrating is trying to find a product that helps your skin, without hurting it. Skincare products are often expensive and often contain harsh chemicals that may make your skin even worse. Here are a few natural tips to clearer skin that won’t break the bank.

Acne

Tea Tree Oil can be used to help combat acne by effectively killing the bacteria that causes acne. Tea tree oil is strong, so if you have sensitive skin, be sure to dilute it with water before putting it on your skin. Use a cotton ball to apply the oil to problem areas. The tea tree oil will dry out pimples and make them go away faster. Even though it’s a natural product, tea tree oil is toxic if ingested so be sure to apply it carefully! Tea tree oil can be found at health food stores like Trader Joe’s or at GNC where a 1 fl. oz. bottle is sold for $12.99, although you can often find it for a few dollars cheaper at local neighborhood shops.

Lime juice and rose water
help to dry out pimples. Mix equal parts lime juice and rose water in a bowl and apply to pimples. Leave the solution on for 20-30 minutes and rinse. Make sure to buy 100% pure rose water, and not the synthetic form.

Water may seem like it’s too simple to help acne prone skin, but drinking a lot of water each day actually helps. A person should drink eight glasses of water a day. By doing this, the water flushes out the toxins in your body and makes you less likely to breakout. It also aids in overall body health and helps to maintain hydration.

Scars

Aloe Vera is helpful in lightening dark spots on the skin that may be leftover from picking at acne. The best way to lighten them is by extracting aloe vera gel from the leaves of an actual living aloe vera plant. Apply the gel to the spots once or twice day and you will notice an improvement in the darkness of your spots.

Olive oil will moisturize skin and soften the texture of scars. First, exfoliate your face with a scrub and then massage a pea-sized amount of olive oil to unwanted dark spots.

Dry Skin

Oatmeal
is useful in treating dry skin. The texture of the oatmeal gently removes dead skin cells. Go to your local health food store to buy organic oats and organic whole milk. Grind the oatmeal in a food processor and then mix the oats with the whole milk in a bowl. Apply the mixture to problem dry areas or use as a mask for your entire face. Wash it off after 15 minutes.

Avocado is rich in vitamins such as vitamins E, A, D, and B. It also contains a large amount of potassium, which is referred to as the “youth mineral” by many nutritionists and helps to give skin more elasticity. Peel the skin of an avocado and mash a quarter of it. Take the mashed avocado and mix it with some plain yogurt. Cover your face in the spread and wash it off after 15 minutes with warm water.

Oily Skin

Tomatoes are effective in treating oily skin because they contain natural AHAs, (alpha hydroxy acids) which help to balance pH levels. This helps to decrease the amount of facial oil in the skin. Peel the skin of the tomato and cut the tomato into pieces so you can extract the seeds. Then, take the pieces and place them in a food processor to make a puree. Apply the puree to your face and rinse off after 15 minutes.

Honey is an astringent that is helpful in decreasing the amount of oil in the skin. Use powdered almond, which is rich in vitamin E, and combine it with a teaspoon of honey to make a paste. Massage the paste into your skin for 15 minutes and rinse.

One of the best natural skin products is undoubtedly Vitamin E. Vitamin E reduces the appearance of scars, prevents breakouts, and reduces dryness. You can buy vitamin e oil at your local health food store. Remember that skincare products don’t have to be expensive and don’t necessarily have to contain chemicals you can’t pronounce. There are plenty of natural remedies for all types of skin that are affordable and effective!

Images courtesy of Guide to Living Naturally, Blogspot & Planetgreen.com.

Rachel Kossman

Northeastern

Rachel Kossman is a Northeastern University graduate, and former Her Campus Campus Correspondent. She spent her junior and senior years writing for Her Campus National, and is thrilled to be back contributing to the Post Graduate section.Rachel is currently working as Associate Editor for DAYSPA magazine, an industry publication for spa owners, where she gets to write about spa products, business tips, spa industry news, focus on green lifestyle content, and even review a spa or two every once in a while! She is currently living back in Los Angeles, where she was born and raised, and though she misses Boston and all her friends out east, is very happy to be away from the cold and snow!