Will Leonardo DiCaprio Finally Win the Oscar Tonight?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Once every year, for the past 20 years, Leonardo DiCaprio has probably cried himself to sleep. Despite starring in some of Hollywood’s biggest blockbusters such as “Titanic,” “Romeo + Juliet,” “Catch Me if You Can,” and “Wolf of Wall Street,” DiCaprio has yet to win an Oscar.

DiCaprio received his first Oscar nomination at 19 for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape,” in which he played Johnny Depp’s brother, Arnie Grape, a 17 year old with a developmental disability. Critics at the time raved over his performance with many applauding his complex and realistic portrayal of the young teen. Despite this, he lost the Oscar to Tommy Lee Jones in ‘The Fugitive.”

Since then, DiCaprio has been constantly snubbed for the award despite amazing and groundbreaking performances on his part. And, even without winning the award, he has become one of the biggest names in Hollywood.

In the 90s, DiCaprio was deemed an international heartthrob after his roles in romantic films such as “Romeo+Juliet” and that one movie no one even remembers, with the sinking ship and an iceberg. DiCaprio could have easily coasted through Hollywood with that sort of success for the remainder of his career, but he continued and still continues to challenge himself by acting in various diverse films, with directors such as Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese (whom he has made five movies with) and Ridley Scott.

Every year, DiCaprio is always nominated for an Oscar award and every year the man is snubbed, over and over again. His snubs have become quite infamous over the years and equally heartbreaking. When they announce the Oscar nominees before revealing the big winner, viewers can see the hope and anticipation in DiCaprio’s eyes, and every year everyone ponders that maybe, just maybe, he may win. But of course, every year the presenter ends up announcing a name that is not DiCaprio’s and every year viewers can see the disappointment and defeat in his eyes.

DiCaprio is this year’s favorite to win the Academy Award and many are fired up after his Golden Globe win for his portrayal as Hugh Glass is the critically-acclaimed film, “The Revenant.” Many of us are equally as eager and anxious to see if this will finally be DiCaprio’s year, and will it?

Aside from the fact that he ate raw bison liver and endured freezing temperature on set, “The Revenant” is probably DiCaprio’s best and most complicated acting gig. To me, it is no secret that the Academy Awards love films based on true life, suffering protagonists and putting actors through grueling situations while making the movie. DiCaprio endured all of that, all while putting out a fantastic performance of a man struggling for survival in the winter wilderness. DiCaprio is the heart and soul of “The Revenant”, and without him, the film would simply not be the same.

Even the film’s director, Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu, had positive things to say about his lead actor.

“I have never had such an easy relationship with somebody,” Iñarritu shared about DiCaprio. “He couldn’t be more brave or more collaborative and even encouraged me to do more things. I didn’t have to convince him at all. I even had to prevent him sometimes.”

DiCaprio should be obvious choice to win the Oscar tonight and he has a long list of supporters. Kate Winslet, Margot Robbie, Adele and more, are among the many actors who believe this will finally be his year. If he doesn’t win tonight, I truly believe it will be one of the biggest Oscar upsets of the decade. Until then, let’s keep our fingers crossed that good old Leo will take the gold tonight.

Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?