Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Meredith Grey and Cristina Yang are the Greatest Love Story in Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

In all of Grey’s Anatomy’s 17 seasons we are exposed to a countless amount of love stories. But the love story that takes the prize has to be Meredith Grey’s and Cristina Yang’s relationship. Although rocky, chaotic, and even troubled, their relationship proves them as one of the strongest couples of the series. They are not best friends, they are each other’s “person”.

The young doctors of Seattle Grace Mercy West Hospital are a true representation of what real friends are all about. They are empowered strong women that have to balance their personal lives meanwhile becoming the best doctors known on television. They may be flawed individuals but their love for one another gets them through the stress of working long hours in a drama filled hospital.  These are three reasons why Meredith and Cristina are and will always be the greatest love story in the series.

They have gone through a lot.

Meredith and Cristina always had each other’s back. Both of them knew well that together they could face anything. Even if that anything meant surgical residency, failed weddings, hospital shootings, miscarriages, plane crashes, births, deaths (lots of them), should I go on? The dynamic duo never left each other’s side even during their ugliest fights (and trust me there were plenty of them). Although both of them are two completely different individuals their differences made them stronger. When times got rough they knew they could rely on each other. Even if this meant to crawl into each other’s beds, drink, or dance their problems away.

They didn’t have to be blood related to be sisters.

Sorry Lexie and Maggie, but long before they came into the picture Meredith already had a sister. Although not blood related no doubt Meredith and Cristina are the “Twisted Sisters”. They love each other so much they would do anything for each other. Like sisters, they both struggled to understand each other, were extremely competitive, and had some ugly fights but that’s what made their relationship so special. They both knew that no matter the situation, their bond was always going to be stronger. At the end of the day their love for one another always came through.

They are each other’s “person”

No doubt Meredith and Cristina were soulmates. Their love for each other went beyond any other romantic relationship in the show. Their relationship went as far as to value their friendship more than their own romantic relationships. They might have loved their guys, but they always chose each other. Their bond was so big their guys knew well that they could not compete, even if it meant to be kicked out of their own bed to surrender it to their girl’s best friend. Who can forget the dynamic duo’s constant affirmation of “you are my person”.

Meredith telling Cristina “You are my person” clip.

Finally, Cristina’s final words to Meredith before leaving for her dream job in Switzerland proves my point. Cristina’s parting words, “I gotta go. You stay here. You are a gifted surgeon with an extraordinary mind, don’t let what he wants eclipse what you need. He’s very dreamy, but he’s not the sun. You are” are a tearjerker. Cristina reminds Meredith that she is the sun, not Derek and they dance one last time before leaving her beloved friend. No doubt this is a friendship we all need.

Meredith and Cristina are hands down the best love story around. There is no need for a “pick me, choose me, love me” speech because it will always be them. Their love for one another without the need of romance proves their love even stronger. Meredith and Cristina becoming sisters by choice and supporting each other through constant tragedy shows the power of a true friend’s love.

-Theme Week: Female Relationships

NMSU Senior majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with an emphasis in Strategic Communications. An awkward individual that just happens to like human interaction. Lover of music, fur babies, and photo shoot sessions with friends. Easily mistaken for twin sister. I write as if I’m writing to my friend.