This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Imagine yourself living your own life then you see men with black suits and ak-47s chasing you down because the government found out that you are fertile. You run through the forest with your little girl in hand until you’re captured and taken. Then suddenly you are stripped of your education, freedom, and now you wear nothing but red dresses and white bonnets. Forced to become a handmaid and must meet the needs of generals because their own wives is barren. Living a lonely life of nothing more than a breeding machine. This is the life of a handmaid.

“The Handmaid’s Tale” is a series on Hulu that debuted in April and based on the best-selling novel by Margaret Atwood published in 1985. It takes place in Gilead with the main protagonist Offred played by Elizabeth Moss and is ruled by a fundamentalist regime that treats women as property and is constantly faced with natural disasters. Aside from that the birth rate is at the lowest it has ever been. So to repopulate the world, fertile women are forced into sexual service.

While I was watching this show I was seriously trying to think what was on Margaret’s mind when she first wrote her book back in 1985.

Throughout the entire show I see how the bible is twisted and manipulated. If a woman is seen reading a book one of her fingers gets chopped off. If a women even dares to speak out her eye is taken out. In this world you have no identity but a handmaid. Better yet if you dare to commit a sin, you are hanged. How is this process acceptable? In Gilead, you are taken to court and there is where you plea and once the begging stops you are declared with a merciful sentence or death by being hanged or stoned.

Right now, as a country being in the trump era, from what I’ve had read and heard from friends of mine is that most are scared that this world is not so far away. Trump has recently rolled back the rule on birth control that prevents unwanted births, ease cramping and regulate irregular periods. His administration also wants to stop providing healthcare when a baby is born which doesn’t make any sense. 

My point of view being a Christian and a woman myself is that I am against this. With trump and this world that could become a reality. I know plenty of people are scared I myself am one of them but if I’m being honest there is hope.

1. In this dystopian world you live under Old Testament bible, which is the law you are punished for everything. Literally anything looking at a woman wrong. Stoned.  The world that we are in now is that we as Christians or believers in Christ are that we live in grace. What is grace? It is UNEARNED, UNDESERVED and UNMERITED favor. Now look I am not saying that gives you right to go kill someone or commit adultery, no, what I am saying is that as a human yes you are going to be making mistakes all the time.
  2. For whoever says that the bible isn’t for women or how women shouldn’t preach obviously hasn’t read the bible in its correct context. Throughout the entire bible Jesus uses nothing but women. (Genesis 1:27)—men and women were created equal. Women play prominent roles in many key biblical narratives. Wives are seen as venerated partners and cherished companions to their husbands, not merely slaves or pieces of household furniture

In conclusion, to the girl who is reading this and has fear of a Handmaids tale reality. It can never happen because those like myself are here for you.

-Victoria Acosta 

Lover of God, Photography, fashion, and food.