This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

This pandemic (and my most recent heartache) have made my shopaholic needs shoot through the roof. Ever since I got my license (a year and a half ago) I’ve been shopping but the boredom of lockdown, the easy access to my computer, and the lack of human interaction have aided my shopaholic self. I was also out of a job for 90% of the pandemic so that was not a good combination.

I also discovered Starbucks’ endearment and began going over four times a week (even though before COVID I would only go there three times a year).  Shopping and buying takeout have helped the lack of human interaction that I would get by going to NMSU in person and going out with my friends to the movies. 

But I have learned a few tricks here and there to control this need…

Download the apps of the places you buy food from. 

Like Starbucks, Dominos, Sonic, Dunkin’ Donuts, etc. Starbucks lets you use stars (that you get from buying stuff) to buy drinks, food, or get a free cup. Dominos gives you a free medium pizza every six times you order (a purchase of $10 or more) with the app. Sonic gives you half-priced drinks when you order through the app. And Dunkin’ Donuts gives you a free drink every 200 points (they also have a lot of offers depending on the month). IF YOU BUY FOOD FROM THESE PLACES MIGHT AS WELL GET THE APP TO GET FREE STUFF EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE.

Your favorite retail stores probably have annual sales! 

If you buy from Bath & Body Works, Urban Outfitters, Victoria’s Secret, etc. The apps and signing up to receive emails from them will tell you when there are sales going on. So, it is better to wait for the sales than buying full price. 

Couponing for everything else. TikTok showed me couponing. 

Download apps like Dollar General, Walgreens, and Family Dollar if you buy things from there. They all have weekly coupons that can remarkably decrease the prices of their items. I have bought Shea Moisture, Whole Blends, Love Beauty Planet, Soleil razors, and more brands so cheap! 

Cashback is the best. 

Download Rakuten (on your computer), Fetch Rewards, and Ibotta. Rakuten is a widget that is put on your browser (like Honey). Every time you buy from a store that is partnered with Rakuten (many are) you can get cash back for the purchases.  Fetch Rewards accepts all of your receipts and gives you points for them. I have gotten a $10 gift card from Amazon for it. And Ibotta offers cash back on various grocery, makeup, pet items, etc. 

Buy from Dollar Tree. 

There was a time during this journey where I felt like I HAD to buy something every single day. If you are there, instead of buying a $20 item to calm the need for the day, buy two $1 items instead at Dollar Tree. It helps quench the thirst; it really does. 

Go to therapy. 

If you’re an extreme shopaholic then maybe therapy is what you need. No number of things will satisfy a void that we’re trying to fill. I finally found a job and now I don’t have the time to go shopping so that was my fix. But I knew that therapy would be helpful if I didn’t find anything else. So, consider it if you’re already doing the things I listed and none of it helps anymore. 

Well, here are my tips. I hope they help!

Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.