Mexican Recognitions at The Oscars 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

With the onslaught of the #OscarsSoWhite movement, many wondered if people of color would ever make a presence in Hollywood. Well February 28, 2016 may have been the beginning of that recognition with the nominations of multiple Mexican people.

Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu and Emmanuel Lubezki were two of the names that were most talked about. Iñarritu is a Mexican film director, producer and screenwriter who was given his first Oscar for best director for the movie Birdman, and recently accepted his second Oscar for The Revenant. Iñarritu was the first Mexican citizen to receive an Academy Award nomination for Best Director.

Lubenziki is a Mexican cinematographer who also contributed to the making of The Revenant, and took home an Oscar for Best Cinematography. Watching The Revenant on the big screen is seen as comparable to movies like Mad Max, Star Wars or Deadpool, which were movies that drew in big audiences.

However, these movies do not compare to the quality and meaning of The Revenant.  The Revenant talks about the relationship between men and nature. Today, that relationship has brought problems to the environment due to pollution, which has affected climate change for the last few years. Movies like The Revenant that talk about real issues are movies worth watching.

This movie incorporates the meaning of art while other movies such as the ones previously mentioned are simply made for entertainment and nothing more. There is no doubt Iñarritu and Lubeski did an amazing job reflecting those eye-opening images that represent the environmental problems we face today.

Sadly, as Iñarritu mentioned in one of his previous speeches, it is disappointing that in order to be recognized Mexicans have to migrate to the United States to gain recognition, respect and dignity they deserve. His speeches have inspired Mexican immigrants to not give up and to keep doing a humble and honorable job to be seen the way Mexico wants to be seen, which is a place full of hardworking people who always keep their hope on having a better image of how Mexico used to be.

Photo credits: noticiasnet.mx

Journalism major
Hi there! My name is Bethany, and I'm an avid writer and lover of travel. I'm a free spirit who was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM--the same city where I currently attend New Mexico State University. I will graduate from NMSU in May, and I'm looking forward to taking on the rest of my life.