Manami Ishikawa ’17: NMSU’s Japanese Exchange Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Hailing all the way from Nagoya, Japan is Manami Ishikawa, who is one of the many exchange students that come to study at New Mexico State University. Ishikawa has studied at the university since last August and has gone on many travels within country, including Albuquerque, New York, and many others. While travel is definitely on the top of the to-do list for many exchange students, the culture at NMSU is one of kind and often times, exchange students and NMSU students form a strong bond, during the student’s time at the university. During her time at NMSU, Ishikawa has gone on to form many bonds with the students at the university and learned a few differences between Japan and the U.S. Read on below to learn more about Ishikawa.

Name: Manami Ishikawa

Age: 21

Year: Junior in Japan

Hometown: Nagoya, Japan

What inspired you to come do your study abroad at NSMU?

I wanted to take some HRTM classes. There are also a few Japanese people in here and also I like the ambassador system.

What do you miss the most from home?

My friends and family.

What are some differences you have noticed between the U.S. and Japan?

I think personality and culture. For example, when I meet my friends, many people hug me here, but in Japan, we just say “Hi” and wave our hand. Also, people here don’t care about age, but in Japan, if I talk with older people, I have to use polite words even if that person is one older than me. People who live in here are so friendly.

What is one of your favorite cities and/or states that you have visited during your time here?

New York.

Describe yourself in three words:

Smiley, ambitious and hardworking

If you could switch lives with anyone, who would it be and why?

I would like to switch lives with a singer for a day because the job is really great and interesting.

Kpop or Jpop?

Jpop

Favorite Color:

Pink and purple

Favorite Food:

America: burritos, Japan: Ramen

Favorite place in Las Cruces, NM:

Old Mesilla

Favorite Song:

Perfect by One Direction

Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?