This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

If you’re reading this, it’s because you know Squid Game is all over Netflix, Tik Tok, and every other place on the internet. So, what is Squid Game anyways and why should you watch it? Let me explain every aspect of how this show is juicy, mind blowing, and emotionally convincing and how this all correlates to the story.

Taking place in South Korea, the main character we meet is, Seong Gi-hun, a man who is super in debt. I’m talking millions, nearly billions. Money is just not a safe subject for him to come across. It wasn’t until one day, this man with a suitcase (it’s always the men with suitcases who change the story) crosses paths with Seong and challenges him to a child-like game for him to win money. Seong was convinced and kept losing until he actually won and was given a sketchy card.

After that, Seong was captured with many other people on a dystopian island and was now renamed “Player 456”. Every person there was renamed to their number based on the order they arrived and has now been part of the Squid Game. This is where everything starts getting weird. The oldest member is “Player 001” who is one of the main characters since he means no harm (at least that’s what we’re supposed to think). There are also other characters like “Player 067” who is a boss lady type of girl that doesn’t put up with anyone and takes the games seriously.

Remember how I mentioned the first game that got Seong into this mess was child-like? That’s what all the games are. The games in this series are games like Red Light, Green Light, Tug-of-War, Marbles, and so on. They only catch is that if you lose, you are eliminated and not just eliminated from the game. You are eliminated from life because you are shot if you lose. Due to all the debt that the players are in, the only prize is the money in this huge piggy bank that all of them paid the price for.

I could go on and deeper into the series, but it’s a must watch! I highly recommend it because it really shows you what scenarios could happen in a world where money is life threatening. In addition, this script was rejected for ten years and now it’s trending on Netflix. So add it to your list!

Brianna Ponce is a film major/journalism minor. She's either on set, in a newsroom, or broadcasting college sports. When she's not writing, she's probably watching horror films.