I Re-entered my One Direction Phase, Here are my Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I’m sure we’ve all had that experience of spending countless hours searching for a tv show only to re-watch your comfort show for the one-hundredth time. Well that feeling doesn’t just apply to tv shows, it can also apply to music. Although I’ve been trying to listen to new music and find a new genre that I like, the wide variety makes finding new music intimidating and difficult. This is probably why last weekend I re-entered my one direction phase.

Making their initial appearance in 2011, One Direction was a British boy band with hits like That’s What Makes you Beautiful and Story of My Life. One Direction was popular for a variety of reasons and had a huge fan base, so back in 2011 I was definitely a One Direction stan.

Despite being a hardcore fan in 2011 over the years my taste changed and I stopped listening to One Direction. With a new found music taste and favorite artist I would never had guessed that I would listen to One Direction again later in life. While I’m not sure what drove me to add a random One Direction song to my Spotify que something sparked and my One Direction Phase kicked in again.

Not only did that one song restart my One Direction obsession I realized how many of their songs were actually kind of good. While it isn’t something I would listen to now it’s definitely not something I would skip. Aside from this though I realized one of the reasons I felt obsessed with One Direction again was because I felt like I could finally relate to their songs. Let’s be real One Direction was definitely a boy band so alot of their songs were cheesy romance songs, so back in 2011 I didn’t really feel like I was the target demographic.

Revisiting One Direction songs with a new perspective was probably one of the biggest influences that got me back into their music. Being able to not just understand the lyrics but relate to them made me want to listen to their songs more. In truth, I had forgotten how much I liked One Directions songs in the past, but feeling like I could relate to them now truly caused the relapse in my One Direction phase.

Hello! I'm Dolores, my pronouns are she/her, and I am a first year student at New Mexico State University. Some of my favorite hobbies are embroidery, photography, and making playlist. I enjoy writing articles that reflect my hobbies and other things I find interesting. I hope you enjoy my articles!