Foodies Perfect Weekend Getaway

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Tempe is known to be the home of Arizona State University. There are many trendy and unique restaurants in Downtown Tempe, near the main campus of ASU. But it also has many other amazing restaurants nearby in Phoenix, AZ. This past weekend, I was able to travel to this delightful desert and try the food at a variety of restaurants.

After a busy Friday morning getting ready for the trip, I arrived at the El Paso Airport, boarded my American Airlines flight and was off on my way to a new adventure. I arrived at the Phoenix International Airport at Exactly 3:30pm. I checked into my hotel and headed out to Downtown Tempe on Mill St. I walked around the busy street along with the many local college students that I am sure were just as happy as I was that it was Friday.

Gordon Biersch

When dinnertime time came around I went to a restaurant called “Gordon Biersch”. For an appetizer I had their famous and popular garlic fries. I could not stop eating them! I ordered fish tacos for my main dish. Here is a picture of the tacos that I posted on my Instagram. 

Cornish Pasty

The next day for dinner I went to a local favorite called “Cornish Pasty”. Unfortunately, I did not get a good picture of my own dish I ordered because the lightening was to dim. But let me tell ya, it was sooo good! Here is a photo from another Instagram of a similar dish. 

Ncounter

The next morning I had breakfast at a place called “Ncounter”. It was a very trendy place. I believe it is a popular place among Millennials. Almost every table a group of college students were chatting away. I had a chipotle breakfast burrito and a strawberry banana smoothie. It was the perfect portion size of food for me so I was really satisfied. 

In ‘n Out Burger

Last but not least, I went to a fast food place you all are probably familiar with, In ‘n Out Burger. Even though this place is not unique to the AZ area, I decided to still put it on this list because we do not have one in New Mexico! So this is somewhere I was excited to eat at. I got a cheeseburger animal style, fries and a coke. It was the perfect meal to end my time in AZ. 

If you find yourself in Tempe, Arizona make sure to visit these restaurants!

Angela is a graduate student at New Mexico State University majoring in communication studies. She is currently a contributing writer for NMSU's Her Campus chapter. When she is not writing, you can find her at home talking up a storm with her closest friends through Zoom.