Culture > News

Everything to Know about NMSU regarding COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

New Mexico State University Chancellor Dan Arvizu announced on Friday morning that our campus will be issuing a system-wide extension to our spring break, presumably because of the Corona Virus (COVID-19) situation. Our break will now begin on Monday, March 16th. If there are no further updates, we are expected to return to our normal schedules on Monday, March 30th. NMSU has assured its students that they are closely monitoring the situation and assessing the best plan of action regarding the health and safety of the student population. They have dedicated this website to keep up-to-date information regarding the situation: https://wellness.nmsu.edu/coronavirus-2019-ncov/ 

During this time, the campus dorms and dining hall will remain open. Many of our students rely on these resources, and NMSU wants to make sure that everyone is able to remain in their current living situation as long as they are able to. Furthermore, students that need isolation can opt to have their meals brought to them to ensure their safety. Public campus resources are to be cleaned more often in the coming weeks to prevent the spread of germs. In the meantime, students are urged to wash their hands, clean their living spaces, and monitor themselves for possible symptoms of the Corona Virus.

Symptoms for the virus include a runny nose, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, and fever. In extreme cases, it can also lead to pneumonia or breathing difficulties. If you develop these symptoms, you should consider if you have been in contact with anyone who tested positive for COVID-19, or if you have recently been to areas where it may exist. Symptoms can show up 2-14 days after you have contracted the virus. Students who believe that they may have the virus are urged to CALL the Aggie Health and Wellness Center at 575-646-1512.

During this time, our university is taking precautions and setting guidelines to stop the spread of the Corona Virus. This means that they are cancelling all major events, and students are prohibited to meet up in groups of more than 50 students. Furthermore, all international travel through the university is being cancelled, and students are encouraged to stay in Las Cruces during this time. Even if you aren’t worried about catching the virus, we don’t want to see students get stranded on a spring break trip if the situation worsens. 

As far as classes are concerned, instructors have the ability to manage their own schedules. Many professors will be pushing assignments back until April, but others may choose to leave their online assignments to be due in the coming week, so be sure to keep up with your coursework. At this time, we are expected to return to our classes at the end of March. However, it is possible that we will finish the semester with online classes if the situation worsens, so people should prepare for this possibility. Students should also still be able to work their campus jobs during this time. According to ASNMSU Senator David De La Cruz, many departments should not be affected by this change, and student employees should contact their supervisors to determine a schedule for the coming weeks. 

Overall, it’s important for us to remember not to panic during this time. These changes are being put into place as a precaution to protect as many people as possible. If you or your loved ones are at a higher risk (i.e. respiratory issues or weakened immune system) you should take extra care to isolate yourself and minimize your contact with other people. Our campus is putting our health and safety first through these new guidelines, and the general public should not worry themselves over this situation. Remember to be safe, clean, and calm during this time, and we will see you all when we return from the break!

Avery Lee

NMSU '22

Computer Science as my major, writing as my hobby
International Business and French double major fascinated by story telling and poodles!