This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Spooky season is finally here! Pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and haunted houses are here for the win. Plus, romance is more festive since fall has arrived. My boyfriend and I have waited for summer to be over for the longest time because we couldn’t wait for the festivities! Here are some date ideas for this time of the year:

1. Haunted House Hopping

Haunted houses are my favorite activity to participate in during this season because I like the adrenaline rush of people trying to scare me. However, I like doing it repetitively. I first started going haunted house hopping back in high school and would visit three to four haunted houses based on the themes and how “scary” they were said to be. This year (even with COVID protocols), my boyfriend and I are going to three houses: an asylum themed one, a haunted circus themed one ,and a haunted trail with zombies that leads you to the mysterious haunted house.

1. Pumpkin Carving/Painting Competition

Pumpkins are cute and fun to use for arts and crafts. Since my boyfriend and I are competitive, we decided to have two competitions: one for carving and one for painting our pumpkins. We both are pretty artistic and have a great amount of creativity, so our strengths in art will be tested!

1. Pumpkin Patch & Corn Maze

Obviously the pumpkin patch is a must during this time of year. The pumpkin patch is also a cute date idea because you can bring friends and have double dates or simply just hang out. In addition, the corn maze is normally paired with the pumpkin patch and is fun to see how combining both brains work in situations like that.

1. Halloween Kills Movie Premiere

Michael Myers is one of the most known horror icons since Halloween is a classic. Luckily, October 15th is the day the latest Michael Myers film comes out! Other horror movies are also coming out, but are they as iconic as Halloween? This is a must for me since I am a huge Michael Myers fan. Plus, sharing popcorn and some sour punch straws sounds like fun, too.

1. Horror/Spooky Movie Marathon

Besides Halloween, there are plenty of other horror and spooky movies of all ratings you can watch with your “boo”. Freeform always does their 31 Nights of Halloween which is perfect because that gives you 31 reasons to hang out, relax and watch a festive movie. Some of the best and classic films include: Hocus Pocus, Beetlejuice, and The Addams Family.

Brianna Ponce is a film major/journalism minor. She's either on set, in a newsroom, or broadcasting college sports. When she's not writing, she's probably watching horror films.