Campus Cutie- Meet Karrie Lucero, NMSU’s first campus cutie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

Name: Karrie Lucero

Hometown: Las Cruces, NM

Year/School: senior, arts & sciences/business

Major: Double in marketing and journalism and mass communications (advertising, photojournalism)

Relationship Status: single

Favorite Childhood Memory: “It’s hard to choose just one, but my family used to travel each summer. We’d go on two-week camping trips to different US National Parks, and at each one my sister and I took part in the junior ranger programs. It was such a neat way to get to see the country and how the landscape changes as you move toward each coast. One of my favorites was probably going to Sequoia National Park and Redwood National Forest in California. That same trip my family drove down the Coastal Highway, or California Route 1 all the way down the coast. It was really pretty, and we got to see the huge Redwood and Sequoia trees. There’s even one you can drive a small car through!”

Dream Job: “working in advertising, creating concepts/doing photography for a major company like Coca-Cola, Doritos, or for professional sports like the Green Bay Packers or at major league tennis tournaments like Wimbledon and the US Open.”

Campus Activities: “member of Chi Omega, NMSU AdFed, various honor societies (Gamma Sigma Alpha, Order of Omega)”

Hobbies: “photography, tennis, doodling. I can also play guitar, violin, and piano.”

Favorite TV Show:  “there’s many—Big Bang Theory, Gossip Girl, White Collar”

Favorite Food: “any kind of pasta!”

Top Five Places You Want to Visit: “Definitely all over Europe and the 7 wonders of the world. But more specifically: Rome, Italy, Australia, Peru, and Argentina!”

Celebrity Crush: “Liam from One Direction”

Most Inspirational Person in your life: “My parents. My mom was the only child in her family to go to college, and my dad was the first child in his family to go to college. Both of them worked to pay their own way and their hard work has taught me that you can achieve anything with determination, hard work, and through saving your money.”

Favorite Experience While at NMSU: “Joining AdFed—I found a group of people who share my interests and have also become my friends. We probably come across as an odd mixture of individuals, but we work extremely well together and through it all, we’re sort of like an AdFed family.”

Advice to Freshman: “Join clubs and get involved on campus. It doesn’t matter what clubs they are—someone on campus has the same interests as you, and no one should judge you for your interests and clubs you join. Join clubs in your college, in your future career field, or even something completely random you enjoy. Whether it’s Greek Life, ASNMSU, AdFed, or the Sustainability Club, clubs and groups are a great way to meet people and network. The clubs and organizations I’ve joined have introduced me to great friends and given me some of my favorite memories from NMSU!”

Fernanda Teixeira is a senior at New Mexico State University who is majoring in Mass Communication and minoring in Advertising/Marketing. When she's not running around on campus, you can usually find her in the corner shoving her face with jellybeans. Her favorite hobbies include talking 24/7 about her dog, showing people photos of her dog, and seamlessly fitting her dog into everyday conversations. Did I mention she has a dog?
Ada Ciuca is a Journalism and Mass Communications student emphasizing in print and PR at New Mexico State University. In a perfect world, she will get to write informative articles, interview the world's most interesting people and work in fashion PR for the rest of her life. While she's at it, she'll also travel the world and learn as many languages as humanly possible. Oh, and reach her ultimate goal of shaking hands with Kevin Spacey and Anderson Cooper.