etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

B’s Get Degrees: Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I wake up and check my phone: 11:35. Considering I went to bed around 6 in the morning, I’m making pretty good time. I look around our room to find party dresses, high heels and makeup strewn all over.

We had a good night.

I roll out of bed, grab a piece of bread from the kitchen and head out to our third-story balcony that has the most incredible view of the ocean and the beach (which is about a two-minute walk from our condo). When the other girls wake up, we will throw on our bikinis and head to the beach. From there, it will be an afternoon full of tanning, playing in the water and, of course, eating chicharones and fresh mangos with chile.

When our skin is golden brown, we will head back to our condo, make some dinner (most likely pancakes or chorizo and eggs), take showers and get ready for another night on the town.

This, my friends, is what I like to call Spring Break. But this isn’t just any Spring Break, it’s the last Spring Break of my college career, so I had to go all out.

One of my friends came into my office about three weeks ago and asked if I was doing anything for Spring Break, to which I said no. So she asked if I wanted to go to Mexico. Now, I’m the type of person who can’t say no to new adventures, so needless to say, the condo was booked about two hours later.

From there, we recruited our team of girls. Two of the girls I had never met before, and one of them I had only hung out with one time at a work event. Luckily, these girls were just as into spontaneity as my friend and I are. And it ended up being a great decision.

Three weeks later, all five of us were crammed into a Ford Fiesta, singing along to J. Cole at the top of our lungs while waiting in line to cross the border into Mexico. And the rest of the trip was equally as fun.

When I picture the Spring Break I wanted to experience my last semester of college, this would be it. I almost just wrote the lyrics to “So Good” by B.O.B. instead of writing this actual blog, because that song pretty much sums up my experience.

I loved every second of eating amazing seafood, practicing my Spanish, making friends with the guys next door and dancing until the sun came up. This trip was just another reminder at the amazing things that can happen when you just say “yes.” So with that, go say “yes” today, everyone. 

Adios!

-B

Hi there! My name is Bethany, and I'm an avid writer and lover of travel. I'm a free spirit who was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM--the same city where I currently attend New Mexico State University. I will graduate from NMSU in May, and I'm looking forward to taking on the rest of my life.