Blog- Understanding Dwarfism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

With October being Dwarfism Awareness Month and October 25th International Dwarfism Day, it is time to discuss a largely misunderstood condition. Dwarfism is a genetic condition, caused by a spontaneous mutation, which leads to short stature. Out of over 200 different types of dwarfisms, achondroplastia is the most common and the one I have,. Better known as achons, those who have achondroplasia generally have average height torsos, short limbs and large heads. It occurs in approximately one of every 30,000 births, and 80 percent of those affected have average height parents. I am one of them.

Growing up with this condition was a challenge, and I noticed I was different at a very young age. When I was six, I began having anxiety issues when in public settings; I remember asking my parents, “Why do people stare at me?”

My father told me to “Stick out your middle finger and give them something to really look at.”

My mother, on the other hand responded, “No! No, don’t do that, just ignore them.”

It was difficult to accept myself when others didn’t. I was insecure and used to cringe when people mocked me or used the word midget. It was overwhelming, especially as a teenager. 

In time, I started seeing, and believing, that I was a strong woman. With the help and support of the Little People of America (LPA) organization, my family and meditation, I began to have an unshakable soul. I know who I am as a person and through my difficult journey, my dwarfism has defined and become a part of me. Because of it, I am determined to be the best person I can be; tolerant of differences, respectful towards others and always smiling.

For the past four years, I have been president of my local LPA organization chapter, which extends through the state of New Mexico and El Paso. With this position, I am determined to encourage my fellow members and anyone else to be happy with who they are.

The term midget is a highly offensive word in the LPA community and other little people are often very insecure and defensive about it. However, through my experience, I have acknowledged that most people don’t know this is a derogatory term, nor do they mean to offend. Either way, I believe that educating people can bring more acceptance throughout the world.

For more information about dwarfism and the Little People of America organization, visit lpaonline.org.

A Chicana from Chicago, now living in the city of the crosses, NM. An Aggie studying journalism.
Ada Ciuca is a Journalism and Mass Communications student emphasizing in print and PR at New Mexico State University. In a perfect world, she will get to write informative articles, interview the world's most interesting people and work in fashion PR for the rest of her life. While she's at it, she'll also travel the world and learn as many languages as humanly possible. Oh, and reach her ultimate goal of shaking hands with Kevin Spacey and Anderson Cooper.