Bended Knee for Peaceful Protest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

As the ominous sound of the Star Spangled Banner plays over the loud stadium speaks, players of the New England Patriots defy tradition in an act of and take knee instead of standing to cross their hearts.

After the election of President Trump, there has been no shortage of protest aimed at his administration. This protest comes in response to Donald Trump’s negative comments of the NFL players who choose to protest the National Anthem by taking a knee or refusing to participate. During a speech in Alabama, Trump called for the firing of the “sons-of-bitches” who disrespect the county by not standing during the National Anthem during NFL football games.  Over the last week, a new wave of protest has emerged with players in the NFL taking a kneeing and locking arms during the National Anthem. 

The initial NFL protest of the National Anthem began over a year ago with Colin Kaepernick, the former quarterback of the San Francisco 49ers, taking a knee in protest of police brutality against Black Americans. Kaepernick explained that it was nonsensical to show respect to that flag of a country that does not provide equal treatment to black people and other people of color. After Kaepernick’s actions, a few other players from other teams joined in his efforts but in the following months the issue of players standing for the Anthem had much been forgotten, until now. Presently, following Donald Trump’s condemnation of players who were protesting, the number of NFL player’s protesting the National Anthem has skyrocketed and spread to include team coaches, managers and team owners.

The response of NFL fans to the protest have been mixed. Some fans respect that the players have the right to not stand during the national anthem and other fans admire the players’ courage to make a statement against a government they disagree with. However, other fans are outraged at the sight of the players’ display of protest. In previous games players who protest have been meet with booing from audience members who claim their actions are disrespectful to the country and to those who fought for American freedom.

Although many have their personal opinions on the matter, the question of what should be done about this issues is still to be decided on. The right for Americans to speak out against their government is woven into the very fibers that form the United States. The Declaration of Independence claims that the citizens of the government have the right to alter and abolish the actions of a government as it becomes destructive. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution claims that American are protected against prosecution by the government if and when they choose to voice their opinions.

These defenses do not protect against any criticism the players receive from fans, however it does protect them against any formal punishment for the government. That being said, it is erroneous that Donald Trump would choose to condemn these players so publicly. Yes, as an American citizen he does have to right to hold an opinion of these players. As the figurehead of the United States, Donald Trump should not use his platform and influence as President to initiate any ill-will to the NFL players bases on their legal and constitutionally protected actions.

After starting the Take a Knee Protest in 2016 and enduring massive criticism, Colin Kaepernick was replaced as the 49ers quarterback and was not picked up by any other teams. After the comments of Donald Trump, it would not be a surprise if some of the players who participated in this protest lost their positions in the NFL and put in the same position as Kaepernick in the future. 

Miquela Gorham is a lover of dogs and chai tea enthusiast. She considers herself to an advocate for women's rights and prides herself on being both forbearing and pragmatic. Miquela is currently a senior at New Mexico State University majoring in Sociology with a supplementary major in Law and Society.