clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

B’s Get Degrees: Party Planning

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

I just settled in for a lovely Sunday afternoon nap (which rarely happens for me) when all of a sudden my eyes shot open: I have to plan my graduation party.

I don’t know why this feeling came to me all of a sudden, let alone a month before my actual graduation. But the urgency was strong. I tried to ignore it all and get back to sleep, but invitations, food and decorations kept occupying my mind. Finally, I gave in and set to Pinterest.

Finding nothing there that was “Bethany” enough, I had to use my own intellect. The funny thing is that I work as an event planner. My days revolve around all the stuff I mentioned before.

But planning your own party is different than planning a party for your employer. You’re more invested in your own party, and there is a certain amount of pride associated with it. Especially a graduation party because there are 103,541,932 other graduation parties going on in May and yours HAS to be the best.

Oh, and then there’s the money thing. It’s easy to spend $500 of your employer’s money on toasted brioche rounds with crème fraiche and caviar, but when you have to spend $200 on your own invitations you really start considering who is important in your life. That’s money I’m spending to send you a piece of glossy paper when I could be using it to buy a plane ticket. In reality, I’m probably going to be using those invitations to write a “feed me” sign as I sit on a street corner somewhere because I’m completely jobless.

Luckily, we reserved the venue a couple months ago—it’s a prime spot, and we knew it would go quickly. With that out of the way, I set to designing invitations and gathering addresses. This is a feat that should not go unrecognized in level of difficulty, and to everyone who has had to do this, props to you. It sucks. (By the way, I still haven’t sent those out. Coming soon! Hopefully).

I’ll be honest, not much else has gotten accomplished. There are these stupid little things called classes that keep taking up my time. But I am no quitter! I will deliver an awesome graduation party…that hopefully has food and stuff.

T-minus 30 days. Let’s do this.

-B

Hi there! My name is Bethany, and I'm an avid writer and lover of travel. I'm a free spirit who was born and raised in Las Cruces, NM--the same city where I currently attend New Mexico State University. I will graduate from NMSU in May, and I'm looking forward to taking on the rest of my life.