This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at NMSU chapter.

There’s so much to be grateful for even in a year when things don’t seem to go our way. In honor of Thanksgiving week, here are some of the things that I am grateful for this year.

1.Family and friends

Family and friends are the kind of support we need. We all need a support system that we can always rely on to provide encouragement and advice. I am especially grateful for my family and the very few close friends that have stuck with me through my happiest and darkest moments. With this year’s madness I can’t even imagine what I would have done without them. 

2Time 

This pandemic has caused our normal busy lives to come to a halt and if you hear me out I believe we should view this as a gift. As this pandemic started and quarantine became the new normal I felt as if I was going crazy as I couldn’t go back to my busy schedule and normal everyday activities. It took time but I realized that I needed to learn how to slow down and appreciate the small things. I hadn’t realized it, but I was burning myself out fast with always being on the go and not spending enough time at home with my family or just by myself. Now I had all the time to dedicate to my family and work on projects I always wanted to but “I never found the time for”. 

3. Health

Especially during a time of a pandemic we should appreciate our health more. I always took this for granted but seeing how fragile life can be has taught me to be more aware of my health and the health of those I care and love. Not only have I learned about the importance of physical health but also mental health.

4. Growing from the things that didn’t go as planned

Never would I have imagined this year to be as it is today. It definitely has been a struggle but there is growth from that struggle. I can’t say that I’m the same person I was at the beginning of the year but instead I’ve learned so many new things about myself. I’ve learned the good, the bad and the things that I should improve on. Sure, it’s difficult sometimes to grasp the idea that things aren’t going according to our plan, but I am somehow grateful because that just means new lessons are being learned. 

5. You are alive 

This year might have been difficult in many ways for everyone but the most important thing to remember is that you are alive. No matter how unexpected this year has been or how out of control things may seem I cannot be any more grateful with the fact that I’m still here with those I love. I believe this year has taught us that life is a fragile thing and it can quickly disappear. 

Ayleen Escalante is a New Mexico State University Student studying journalism and mass communications with an emphasis on strategic communications.
Senior at New Mexico State University that's majoring in Psychology with two minors in Spanish and Journalism. I spend too much time shopping, watching TV shows, listening to podcasts about breakups, spoiling my cat Juno, photographing every detail of my life and scrolling through TikTok. Writing is my thing and I hope it makes you laugh, feel understood, or is helpful to you.