DIY Makeup Hacks for Broke College Girls

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Niagara chapter.

I can’t stand when I’m reading a magazine, and they’re trying to tell me how to create some kind of fancy celebrity makeup scheme, but the products that they suggest are the ones that only celebrities can afford. Who do they think their demographic is? Katy Perry and Lady Gaga? These injustices promoted me to pull together some ideas that you can do, either for free or for a really cheap price, that will make you look like a celebrity without spending money like one.

Eyes:

1. To get the smoothness of a gel eyeliner, hold a kohl pencil eyeliner close to a hot surface (like your hair straightener) for 5 seconds, then let it cool for 15 seconds. The eyeliner can act as both a pencil and a gel!

2. Homemade eye makeup remover: mix 1 cup distilled water, ¼ tsp. liquid castile soap, and 1tsp. olive oil in a glass jar, shake, and remove the makeup as you normally would.

Lips:

1. To get the plumping effect of an expensive lip plumper, add a few drops of peppermint oil to your favorite lip gloss to add a bit of plump.

2. Have an eyeshadow color that would look better as a lip gloss? Scrape the eyeshadow out of the container and mix with Vaseline (the more eyeshadow you add, the deeper the color), then store in an airtight container.

Face:

1. How do you get an exact-match concealer? Put some of your foundation in a small container and leave it open (covered with cheesecloth to keep dust out) for two to three days. It’s the same color of your foundation but has the consistency of a concealer.

2. Make a great summer bronzer by mixing baby powder and cinnamon (more cinnamon=darker color), and storing it in a clean, dry, airtight container.

Happy makeovers, everyone!

Amy is a sophomore biology/pre-pharmacy major and Spanish minor at NU. She is the treasurer of Bienvenidos, the Spanish culture club on campus, and is an active member of Biology Club. She hopes to attend pharmacy school after she graduates and receive her Pharm.D. pharmacy doctorate.
Sarah is a sophomore TESOL/French double major at Niagara University. She is involved in EAGLE Leadership, Niagara University Future Teachers of America, a Community Assistant, Teacher's Assistant, and founder of the Niagara HC chapter.